Cinti ToolMaster 1D variable speed pulley & motor shaft ?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Cinti ToolMaster 1D variable speed pulley & motor shaft ?

Post by jcfx »

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know of a source for Toolmaster Mill parts, aside from
the usual places ( eBay, Craigslist ) ?

What I'm looking for a buddy of mine is the motor mounted variable speed pulley, the one that's on
on there is in very bad shape ( probably why the mill had this horrible death rattle when running )
one of the pulley halves has cracked it's sleeve section, it was repaired once before. We discovered this when I helped
to get it ready for a belt replacement.
It would be great to find a direct replacement either after market if there is such a thing or used.
Worse case scenario would be to cut replace the broken section and shrink fit a tube machined to the old dimensions
into the pulley flange.
motor side pulley minus spring
motor side pulley minus spring
the broken sleeve part of the pulley
the broken sleeve part of the pulley
Another question I have is how one would "fix" the shaft on the motor, it's pretty munged up because of the
broken pulley, the key that was in the keyway has been hammered into an L, and the shaft's keyway is
deformed. My thought is to take the motor apart, braze in the keyway and set the armature up on centers
to true up the shaft, then recut keyway. I'm open to suggestions for a better way.
The motor shaft
The motor shaft
RMinMN

Re: Cinti ToolMaster 1D variable speed pulley & motor shaft ?

Post by RMinMN »

Stupid question since I don't know any better but do you have to fill in the old keyway or could you simply cut a new one 1/3 of the way around the shaft? Would that extra keyway weaken the shaft too much?
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

RMinMN wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:47 am Stupid question since I don't know any better but do you have to fill in the old keyway or could you simply cut a new one 1/3 of the way around the shaft? Would that extra keyway weaken the shaft too much?
I wouldn't say you don't know any better, I hadn't even thought about milling a new keyway.
I don't think an extra keyway would weaken the shaft, there is not a reference in the picture of the shaft I posted but it's a 1" shaft.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

With that much of the surface of the shaft gone the pulley might either ride cocked on the shaft or wobble.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Use high strength JB Weld to fill the old keyway.
~RN
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Surprisingly the half of the vari speed pulley that goes over the motor shaft seems to not have any out of the ordinary play,
the other half of the pulley that's broken that's the wobbler.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

jcfx wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:08 am Surprisingly the half of the vari speed pulley that goes over the motor shaft seems to not have any out of the ordinary play,
the other half of the pulley that's broken that's the wobbler.
It may not sound like a great idea, but making one from bar stock just might be your best solution. That it's broken in several pieces leads me to believe it's made from gray iron----so making a repair wouldn't be easy, although certainly possible. It's all a matter of how much fight you'd like to introduce to the repair. Making a new one from mild steel would eliminate all of that.

A dilemma, for sure! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

NP317 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:57 pm Use high strength JB Weld to fill the old keyway.
~RN
I like this potential solution. It solves the problem of the slack in the shaft causing the pulley to wobble while avoiding the heat that brazing would need.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I have bought parts from this place for my 205-12 but its been almost 20 years ago. As I am sure you know parts associated with Cincinnati machines are not cheap even used.

Parts N Parts
1950 Beery Rd
Elida, OH 45807
419-331-5658

Myself if everything else is good on the head I would order up some 1045 round drops and whip up new parts. The motor shaft could be turned down a bit to straighten it out and the ID of the new parts could be made to compensate for that.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

NP317 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:57 pm Use high strength JB Weld to fill the old keyway.
~RN
Or machine a piece of keystock to mostly fill the hole with its surface flush with the good part of the shaft and JBWeld it in. That way the pulley hub wouldn't have to bear directly on the epoxy.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Thanks everyone for chiming in, Harold V, machining a new sleeve from bar stock is tops on my list of methods to repair this,
definitely easier and it probably hold up better than re brazing the broken parts together.

Not too keen on JB Weld, it's a good adhesive, but with all epoxies they soften with heat, I'm not sure how warm the pulley will get
after hours of use.

Alcosteam, thanks for another source to look into, there is talk of getting aftermarket varispeed pulley.
And those aren't cheap either.
Why 1045 steel ? I was leaning towards using 4130.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

JB Weld is rated for use up to 500F.