Table Is stuck

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

architect

Table Is stuck

Post by architect »

I have a gorton 9 j.
I just bought it. 23 Dec 2018
The operation was all good, then when we were going to load it, I moved the table way back and now it is stuck.

I loosened the front and rear gib screws but can't move it.

Any ideas?
Harold_V

Re: Table Is stuck

Post by Harold_V »

If the table moved freely before it got stuck, the gib screws shouldn't have anything to do with the problem. Might not hurt to detail EXACTLY what you were doing when it got "stuck". The problem could be nothing more than the mechanism having bottomed out, which would require a little force to get unstuck.

While you mentioned the table, is that the slide you're dealing with, or is it the cross slide (the saddle)?

If you don't know, Gorton produced a high quality machine. The 9J doesn't have the head tilt features of a Bridgeport, but it is a far better machine. Treat it with respect!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Also, when you say the table is stuck, do you mean that the wheel won't turn? Or the wheel turns freely, but the table doesn't move?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
architect

Post by architect »

I'm new at this so, i'll probably use the wrong terms.. But, When i bought it, all movement was free and all 3 axis were smooth.

We were loading the machine and thought the center of gravity should be moved back and down; so we lowered the knee and moved the top table back. that is when it got stuck. So, the big horizontal top table moves left and right but not front and back. The wheel can turn maybe a 1/4 turn and can't move any more.

I removed the turn to look at it and put it back in. it is OK.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

If you lowered the knee AFTER you moved the table to the rear try raising the knee if you have not already done so,and see if that make a difference.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

architect wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:36 am I'm new at this so, i'll probably use the wrong terms..
Not a problem. Here, you can talk the best you can, and folks will help by (politely) correcting you so you learn the proper jargon. Do not mistake that for rudeness, as it's not meant that way. Readers, here, don't do that.
We were loading the machine and thought the center of gravity should be moved back and down; so we lowered the knee and moved the top table back. that is when it got stuck. So, the big horizontal top table moves left and right but not front and back. The wheel can turn maybe a 1/4 turn and can't move any more.
Ok. That's the saddle, or cross feed. While it's a long shot, you might consider trying what John suggested. What is happening shouldn't be happening, so why it's happening could be something weird, and may not make sense.
I removed the turn to look at it and put it back in. it is OK.
A little help with this statement. What is the turn? Do you mean you removed the handle, or screw?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm not familiar with Gorton, but does the screw that drives the saddle in the "Z" axis extend down below the base of the mill? If it does and it is sitting on a hard surface, that may somehow be keeping the "Y" axis screw from turning. As mentioned above, raise the saddle/table up if you can and see if that frees up the "Y" axis. My mill (nothing as fine as a Gorton); the "Z" axis screw extends below the base of the mill, so when I mounted it on a platform, I had to drill a hole to allow clearance for the "Z" axis screw to travel. Also try this: turn the "Y" axis crank/screw clockwise as far as it can go; then by hand, pull the saddle/table roward you and at the same time turning the "Y" axis crank counter clockwise. It could be the screw has exited the nut and is not lined up for engagement. Do it gently. Don't force it. Good luck.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I have no idea if this is related to your issue, but once the table on my ShopMaster got stuck.

I was using the power feed for the first time and when the table hit the 4-1/2" mark (11" of travel), the table jambed and the spline shaft snapped. (Typical Chinese unit where the scale WAS 1-1/2" off center..., sheesh!)

Anyway, I couldn't get the table to move for anything. I tried taking off the "X" lead screw (couldn't do it), and even beating it, all to no avail.

Then I found that I could reach in from behind and get under the table. There are two treaded collars that connect the table to the "Y" lead screw that allow you to remove the forward/rearward "slop" when changing directions. These had jambed together jambing the table in the most forward position and I found that when I loosened them, I freed the table. I could then move thing over just a bit and retighten the collars.
spro

Post by spro »

Mr. Ron nailed it with the axis screw alignment. This has happened to me with a couple mills.
spro

Post by spro »

It is a left hand thread and must be fed back to engage more than 1 thread or it will be ripped out. One thread cannot move that size table without help. This wasn't the "work envelope" with the table against the vertical slides.
spro

Post by spro »

Don't breeze past what toddalin said, either. This is real time info and some of us have those type machines. Good info when it happens.