Storing End Mills

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kroll

Storing End Mills

Post by kroll »

Guys I have been on the hunt for a method to store end mills in my Sears tool box drawers along with my taps and drill bits.So what I am looking for is something that has slots that maybe a 3/4 radius or concave that would hold say a 3/4 end mill or drill bit of that size down to maybe 1/4.The Sears drawer is say 23"x16" so I like to find some kind of tray or trays that could be put next to each other.I found a pic but there is no information on the trays in the pic.Others have also search but the post I found is over a year old,but maybe thinking outside the box something would work for this ideal.Any ideals,links or pics to what you have or know of?
Attachments
recommendations-tool-box-drawer-dividers-inspirational-killer-ideas-organize-your-workshop-garage-storage-now-and-perfect-tool-box-drawer-dividers-ideas-lovely.jpg
jcfx

Re: Storing End Mills

Post by jcfx »

Found the original source for that picture, it's going to be a DIY ( beware it's pop up/ ad heavy forum )-
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... &showall=1
kroll

Post by kroll »

I be dang,DIY it looks so perfect.Thank you jcfx,I have been looking for the source for long time and also on another forum they been looking for over a year.Thank you for taking the time checking into this.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

It's my pleasure, I need to try to organize my own tool drawers, so it was good to see what's out there
in regards to store bought and diy, it wasn't hard finding the image, Googling for tool drawer organizer
found the image on the CNCCookbook site which had a link to the Garage Journal thread.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My dad took some wood, drilled holes in it and cut in in half to make a tray of half-round compartments.

I don't have the picture, but think of taking a 1x2, standing it in the drill press vise so that the 1 is on the bottom and the 2 is upright.

Drill a bunch of closely spaced 1/2" thru holes.

Bandsaw the wood in half (with the 1 on the table and the 2 vertical).

Now you have two scalloped trays.

If you drill part way, the end mills will rest against what's left of the holes, or you could just make some separators out of strips of 1/4" plywood.

I have Huot dispensers (seven of them so far) to store drills, end mills, reamers and taps in, but I have so many of certain sizes that I will probably do this as well.

Steve
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

SteveM wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:26 pm
Drill a bunch of closely spaced 1/2" thru holes.

Bandsaw the wood in half (with the 1 on the table and the 2 vertical).

Now you have two scalloped trays.
I like that!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
TomB

Post by TomB »

I have found that wood holes to stick things into or boards drilled and then split, rust the tools they hold. I don't know why.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I have found that wood holes to stick things into or boards drilled and then split, rust the tools they hold. I don't know why.
Must be the environment humidity or that jug of muriatic acid you saved.
Most of my tools and socket wrenches are stored in close fitting wood holes and have never seen rust.
I leave the oil on tools, if they need wiping is done before using not after.
I like to spray the wooden blocks with polyurethane but some are not and not much paint reach the holes, particularly the small and deep.
Most of my storage blocks hold the tools vertically, only a few are kept horizontally in shallow drawers.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
12L14

Post by 12L14 »

TomB wrote: I have found that wood holes to stick things into or boards drilled and then split, rust the tools they hold. I don't know why.
Oak and beech can cause corrosion, the same goes for boards that uses UF resins as a binder.
Tool&die maker since yesterday ;)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

12L14 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:12 am
TomB wrote: I have found that wood holes to stick things into or boards drilled and then split, rust the tools they hold. I don't know why.
Oak and beech can cause corrosion, the same goes for boards that uses UF resins as a binder.
I suppose you could treat them with shellac or some other coating.

Don't know what dad used, but it didn't rust anything.

I suppose you could do the same drill / saw on a piece of plastic.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I was thinking about that plastic idea. I wonder if you could use the milk jug poly bricks such as I've seen used to make a mallet head?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I don't see why you couldn't, milk jugs are HDPE, if you can control the melt temperature you should be able to cast a slab.