Mill Chatter Fixed.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Mill Chatter Fixed.

Post by armscor 1 »

My round head mill drill chattered when applying quill lock, annoying, found the quill was deflecting and putting the drive spline for spindle out of alignment and putting side load on the mating surfaces.

Checked the clearance between quill and housing, 1.5 thou, acceptable as I use moly EP grease. The quill housing is simply too short causing deflection.

Solution is to extend quill housing, machined a billet of 2" 6021 aluminium and machined coarse gramophone finish on one face to get strong key for JB weld. Placed billet around quill and set it on a bed of JB weld and let gravity to align and set in place. Waited 3 hours, did not want the quill to fully set and drove the quill out, almost glued the quill in the housing, would have been an absolute disaster!!

Blocked the openings between casting and billet and poured super strength Araldite epoxy.

Mill runs quiet now.
Attachments
DSCN0083.JPG
DSCN0086.JPG
pete

Re: Mill Chatter Fixed.

Post by pete »

Funny that for a couple of bucks in cast iron that could have been a much better machine from the factory without the end user having to fix what should have been done at the design stage.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

The original quill on my ShopTask ran quiet. The replacement chatters as described.

Comes down to fit and the original was "hand-selected" from who knows how many, whereas the replacement is just taken off the shelf at random.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I had a Dean Smith and Grace 13X42 Lathe in Australia, no compromise on cast iron there. Reluctantly sold her when I moved to SE Asia.
Also dearly miss my Taiwanese BP clone.
I have 2 Chinese lathes, they perform their tasks but I don't have pride in ownership.
spro

Post by spro »

I must comment about the first post. I have never seen this before. You were right there and saw the problem. Opened it up and increased the stability. Lots of work to do that and make it work. Yours may have been MT #3 . Oh boy, adapting R 8 to a Mt #3 extension doesn't work too good either.
Very good info and pics about increasing the quill stability.