Riser block

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bill jones

Re: Riser block

Post by bill jones »

---here a link to my ordeal of lifting the head of the mill to install an 8" riser block---where I didn't have room to lift the mill from above

http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page_10.html
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I removed the head from my most recent mill when I received it. To manage the head, I took a piece of (3/4" I think?) round stock and mounted it in the head with a collet (using a step ladder due to 8" riser). I then clamped it in the vise with a vertical v-block. And then unbolted it and left the vise managing the load and holding it vertical. Once I completed what I wanted to do with the head, I reinstalled it by reversing that procedure. The bolts to t-nuts was a bit frustrating, but not having to man handle the head made it not a huge deal.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
RSG

Post by RSG »

Awesome tutorial Bill! Thanks,

Russ, your idea, like Bills is sort of what I had in mind only I was thinking wood but I like the steel idea better. Bill shows a support system on the back of the ram but you don't mention that for your method, did you support it in any way? My first thought would be a dangerous amount of stress on the spindle bearings without supporting the back.

My idea was to have a the support touching the bottom of the dovetail on the ram. If I made it out of steel as you both have I could fashion a clamping method for the dovetail ensuring it doesn't tip in any way.

Thanks for the added info guys!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I removed the head with the method described. I then lifted the ram and turret as an assembly with 2 straps (front/back) using a gantry.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
RSG

Post by RSG »

Got it, thanks Russ!
RSG

Post by RSG »

Next question,

I just found out the manufacturer doesn't make one for my mill so I am going to...Do the long bolts hold the ram and the riser block in place with the spider or does the riser block get fastened to the pillar base separate?

Sorry if this may be a dumb question, I want to be sure.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Normally long bolts.
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

My 7" riser had 2 spiders and separate bolts. The turret used a standard spider and bolts.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

My mill uses long bolts with I think its a 10 inch riser. I have some 12 inch 1/4 wall pipe if your anywhere close.

Greg
RSG

Post by RSG »

BadDog wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 pm My 7" riser had 2 spiders and separate bolts. The turret used a standard spider and bolts.
That's what I was wondering as some ads are showing the riser and another spider.
RSG

Post by RSG »

f350ca wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:06 pm My mill uses long bolts with I think its a 10 inch riser. I have some 12 inch 1/4 wall pipe if your anywhere close.

Greg
Thanks Greg, that's nice of you. I'll consider it if the plan I have doesn't work out but for now I might be able to get my hands on some 2" wall pipe.