Breathing new life into an old Kurt

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whisperfan

Breathing new life into an old Kurt

Post by whisperfan »

So I picked up this Kurt D60-1 ... it was in okay shape. The bed was good and that is whatI was most concerned with.

As found

The top had a big circle (like from a fly cutter) in it with a smaller concentric circle and two squares ... making it look like it was vise 00 .... not 007 (Bond, James Bond) .... just 00. There on the left side of the movable jaw there was a long line and it went off at a right angle ... the deepest was about 12 thousanths

I paid nearly as much for the shipping as I did for the vise ... but together they were still less than 200. I just couldn't find one around me at a decent price.
whisperfan

Re: Breathing new life into an old Kurt

Post by whisperfan »

I didn't take any 'in progress' shots (they are pretty simple) but here is it done

whisperfan

Post by whisperfan »

I like to put a couple button head cap screws into the side of the jaw I am not using just as a thread protector

I chose 'Safety Blue' by Rustoleum ... not perfect, but a pretty close match. The hardest part was finding those little drive screws in my ares to re-attach the SN plate.

I made the 'soft jaws' from 1018 and ground them on 6 sides ... they came out nice. I'll probably pick up hardened jaws at some point and I ordered a handle from Kurt for 31.00 .... cheaper than most on eBay!
pete

Post by pete »

That came out really well. Cheaper than probably any off shore 4" and far far better in every way other than when you have to lift it on and off the table.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you might want to look at the Gibralter spinner handle for these vises...they are very handy...(McMaster).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice job!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice job.

I asked Kurt if they sold paint and they said no.

I think they are powder coated at the factory, but it would be nice to touch it up.

He told me that a close color is "Ford blue", I think the blue they used on engines.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the Kurt that I bought from e-bay was (and is) totally devoid of any paint...which is probably why I got it so cheap.

Your blue looks very nice.

FWIW: you may find that a 1/8" step in the top corners is a very useful option to have for 'quickie' hold jobs
Too many things going on to bother listing them.