Replacement Hand Wheel Handles for Rockwell

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

germaneighter

Replacement Hand Wheel Handles for Rockwell

Post by germaneighter »

All of the hand wheel handles on my Rockwell 21-100 are bent, broken, or missing. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? The originals have an interference splined fit that allows the handle to rotate. (My Atlas lathe has "fixed" hand wheel handles and they work fine so I'm not opposed to having fixed ones on the mill.)

thanks
Attachments
handle.jpg
germaneighter

Re: Replacement Hand Wheel Handles for Rockwell

Post by germaneighter »

I forgot to mention the splined shaft O.D. is 0.281".

I have found Bridgeport Table Lock handles on EBAY that have a 5/16" thread. The length is about the same but the diameter of the necked-down section looks pretty thin. And they're pretty pricy at about $20 each.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I made a replacement for a missing handle on my Logan by turning a piece of steel "freehand" until it looked right and then finishing it with files and sandpaper. That one looks like it could be fixed by converting it to non-rotating.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

http://chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtop ... ee#p392958

This thread has some pics of the ball crank I made for my 10ee. I have made handles for other stuff, too, though. My rotary table was missing the handle. I had to drill out the hole, though as it was worn. Most I have made to accept a bolt through the middle so the knob can spin, but there are folks who don't like that.

The knobs or handles, I just roughed out on the lathe with regular turning tools, then filed and sanded to final shape.

Dave
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I think McMaster Carr sells them, but you'll have to search.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Used to be lots of choices on EBay for these handles. Some new, some old parts off salvaged machines.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
pete

Post by pete »

Today's cnc has reduced but still hasn't eliminated the need for long term jigs & fixtures. A lot of people with home shops don't seem to know about the suppliers set up for those industrial requirements. Most of the bigger machine tool suppliers like MSC have at least some of the basic tooling that might be used in those fixtures. And Carr Lane would be one of the bigger company's who produce a large variety of specialized parts including fixed and revolving handles just like yours germaneighter. There's a few other specialty company's as well. I'm not sure if any of them will sell directly, but using there part no's then at least MSC and maybe others will order anything you'd like and ship it directly to you. It's a handy resource to at least know about. Prices aren't exactly dirt cheap, but the parts are out there.