Next step to learn wheel cutting

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chriscam

Next step to learn wheel cutting

Post by chriscam »

hi, i have a Sherline 5400 mill and an indexer with rotary table. I know little about cutting a clock wheel can anyone give me a few pointers like what cutters etc to buy and where from...I realise this is a difficult area but any help appreciated.
regards
Chris
earlgo

Re: Next step to learn wheel cutting

Post by earlgo »

Let me be perfectly clear, I know nothing about making clocks. Having said that, you might investigate the WORSHOP PRACTICE SERIES of books available on AMAZON. #17 is Ivan Law's book on Gears and Gear Cutting and #33 is a book on Making Clocks. A guy on Utube called ClickSpring has a bunch of videos.
You will need patience and time and a bit of cash in reserve to do this. But first....
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you are doing clockmaking on a Sherline, the first thing you should do is watch Chris from Clickspring:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsK ... 2MA/videos

He does amazing work with small machines, including a Sherline.

He makes a lot of gears in the process.

Watch the series on the mantle clock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y146v ... 0Ryx-beOli

Steve
chriscam

Post by chriscam »

Hi, as always I don't sit on my arse expecting everyone else to do everything so I now know even though you can buy commercial cutters it is better to make your own single point cutter. so I am looking for any help making such a cutter for a clock wheel which is a cycloid gear. I think as again say think you use an existing wheel to get the profile from the gear flank and then transfer this to a mill. There is one video online using a CNC but nothing else I can find.
regards
Chris
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The workbooks mentioned show how to make your own cutters, very little use of commercial cutters. You can make either fly cutters or regular multi tooth cutters.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The clickspring series shows Chris making a cutter for the gear teeth.

He makes the gears on an ordinary mill / drill using a homemade single-tooth cutter. Can't get any simpler.

You'll have to comb thru the videos to find it, but there's probably one with "gears" in the title.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

As Earl pointed out that Ivan Law book would be first on my list before attempting any gear cutting. And watch / clock gears have there own complexity's as well as for some of them quite specialized tooth forms. I really know just about nothing about watch or clock making, but I'd also suggest your going to need to do a whole lot more further research. John Wilding and the many books he's written might be about the best references I can think of although there's apparently many other books. There may be specialized horology suppliers in North America that I don't know of. Apparently from bit's n pieces I've picked up over the years most of the better suppliers for just about anything you'd need seem to be in the U.K. Just doing a simple search on Google for Clock Making Tools got almost 25 million hits. I can say while home cutting of gears is completely possible, it's a whole lot more complex subject than it would seem. And even more so for those watches and clocks.Just having a mill and method of dividing is still only the first and by far the easiest step. Clicksprings videos about making and using a proper wheel depthing tool would be another set of videos I'd be watching.