Vise Identification

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

germaneighter

Vise Identification

Post by germaneighter »

Anyone know the maker of this 6" vise? thanks
20190523_130748.jpg
Bill Shields

Re: Vise Identification

Post by Bill Shields »

I have one very similar - maybe a Bridgeport
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Bill Shields is correct that is a Bridgeport I have three of them,
germaneighter

Post by germaneighter »

Thanks, I thought it probably was. I looked it over close last night and there is no branding anywhere that I can see.
spro

Post by spro »

It looked like a Bridgeport to me also. It has the trough type base which probably channeled the cutting fluid into the outside rim of the table. That way, it was recycled instead of clogging the T slots. Also has the feature of outer jaws. There may be evidence of small holes at the side, where the emblem was applied.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. That's interesting. When I purchased my first BP mill, I also purchased a new vise and swivel base. The vise, which was purchased in 1967, didn't resemble that one at all.

I'm not suggesting that the vise shown is not a BP. What I am suggesting is that it is likely quite old, perhaps one of the first they produced. The one I purchased had straight sides, and was rather square looking, if memory serves. It was replaced, long ago, by a Kurt, which I still have.

I am curious about spro's comment about coolant troughs. I've owned two BP's, neither of which had provisions for coolant, although the T slots ended up in cavities in which there is a female pipe thread tapped for a connector to be added. No troughs along the table edges, though. Does anyone on the board have a table like he described?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

As soon as I can figure out how to post a picture I will show one of my three vices and they're dead on except they have Bridgeport cast on it, what he is talking about is a raised lip on the base the coolant will flow towards the bolt openings and then onto the table all bridgeport's vices have that if you enlarge the picture you can plainly see it's on there!!!!!!!!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This is not a Bridgeport table but the Producto-Matic table. Same principle, though.
table with coolant trough
table with coolant trough
It even has the pipe stub, after all these years.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

As for the rim around the table it's a half moon between the outer T slots and tableside linking tank in the base of the column the coolant tank only seen it on Bridgeport Tracer Mills and special order Bridgeport's with coolant
spro

Post by spro »

Harold is right in that 1967 was pretty modern compared to the earlier vises. It became more practical, to have flat machined surfaces instead of rounded castings. Art is not always practical but even the smallest Bridgeports with 9 X 32" tables had at least 3 tee slots. I appreciate earlgo's pic which shows the lip/ trough of a later vise base. We can see it wasn't using or didn't need to use it that way- but it could. I don't mean to get into some disagreement for the answer is very close. Earlgo's pic shows a label peeling away but there is another emblem at the base foot., That data means something too. ERIE S is fantastic in knowing about that too.
The reason I even commented is because certain auctions made an imprint. It was like after this one, I'm done with it. Huge complex and three auctioneers going at the same time. You had to run from one section to another and there was the heavy mills and lathes which I didn't have room for-but I needed to LOOK ! So, run back at the multiple table stands, There must have been 20 Bridgeport milling machine vises. Some had "Bridgeport" cast at the base and some had labels or small, hand rivet, emblems. I couldn't sort this all out but I noticed a few features. To be correct; it didn't impact that any or most had the "outer jaws" feature but the base was of a certain design.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Harold_V wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:36 am Does anyone on the board have a table like he described?
Yessir!
DSC01785.JPG
With the coolant pump inside "the door".
DSC01786.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Glenn. That may be a first for me. I was unaware that BP had offered them. The bases of those I've seen don't have a lip, so any coolant that managed to get there would simply run off on the floor, plus the column, inside, is open at the bottom. Obviously different castings throughout the machine.

Any idea of the age of the one shown?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.