Bare Metal Protection

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

germaneighter

Bare Metal Protection

Post by germaneighter »

There is quite a lot of humidity at my location What do you use to keep bare metal surfaces from rusting?

just to name a few....
Mill table
Lath chucks
mill and lathe tooling
drill press table, handles, chuck

thanks
GlennW

Re: Bare Metal Protection

Post by GlennW »

The only thing that I've found that actually works.

About the consistency of 30 wt. oil, stays that way, and just wipes right off if you need to.
129845.jpg
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
germaneighter

Post by germaneighter »

Thank! I was going to try Gibbs but I'll go get me some of your recommendation at lunch!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I've used Boeshield and that has worked fine.

I have stuff in my garage that I sprayed with it 5-10 years ago and there's no rust.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I run dehumidifiers.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm not familiar with these terms. What is this "rust" and "humidity" you guys are speaking of?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

BadDog wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 pm I'm not familiar with these terms. What is this "rust" and "humidity" you guys are speaking of?
It's that stuff you had when you lived in Palm Beach. :wink:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oh, yeah. Now I remember! Those were the bad ol' days, where grill frames crumbled to the ground in a year.

Here, rust is more like a protective coating. You can leave a 20 ga steel panel bare metal outside for several decades, and with a bit of wire brush and some phosphoric acid, it's still quite serviceable. We've got whole cars far out in the desert that had the paint burned off them 50 years ago, and you can still readily tell what they were.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

BadDog wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 pm I'm not familiar with these terms. What is this "rust" and "humidity" you guys are speaking of?

For the Valley of the Sun.....

-The way it used to be, when Phoenix was surrounded by farming, and the wind didn't blow.
-The way Phoenix is during monsoon season.

Either were easy to tell....the swap cooler didn't cool.

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

:shock: :wink:

Yeah, I know all too well...

High humidity at 110+*F in monsoon season is absolutely horrible by any measure. Walk outside after some of those brief showers (without much cool down), and it's very literally like walking into a steam room. And when you add the endless golf courses, artificial lakes, endless morons trying to grow grass and a tropical oasis in the desert, and increasing overpopulation, the "dry heat" isn't what it used to be.

But it's still fun to offset that misery by pretending we don't have humidity. And even with the increased humidity (in general and monsoon related), it's still not bad enough to have any real rust issues even with AC.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Before installing a Mitsubishi split AC/Heatpump I covered my lathe and turned on a 60W incandescent fed through a diode. It creates a mini-environment free of humidity and the warmer metal does not initiate condensation. The diode cut the power so the light bulb last a lifetime.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tornitore45 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 amThe diode cut the power so the light bulb last a lifetime.
There are those out there that want you to replace that bulb with an energy-efficient LED.

Steve