Dead power feed

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Dead power feed

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I have one of the generic X, Y, Z power feeds, today it quit, found the fuse blown, and it blew the replacement fuse as soon as I activated it - while disconnected from the axis. Appears to be an electrical issue.

It is generic, so generic I cannot find a manufacturers name anywhere on it or in the booklet, but it looks like all the others on the outside.

Anyone aware of a source for generic parts? Thinking I need a new circuit board.

Thanks
Patio

Re: Dead power feed

Post by Patio »

Russ have you taken it apart yet?
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Photo?

I had a problem with an Align feed, and when I called, the guy who runs the company helped me order a new part.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
J.Ramsey

Post by J.Ramsey »

You might give these guys a try.
https://www.bestlinepro.com/power-feed-parts.asp
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

thanks, I will give them a call.

Got a rush project in the works, so the feed is on the bench until I have time; will disassemble later when time permits
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Here is a picture of the dead generic unit, and the temporary high powered replacement. The project continues.
DSC01219.JPG
DSC01220.JPG
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I had a blown Triac in mine, replaced and working OK.Simple circuit board and not difficult to fault find.
First you have to determine if the series universal motor is at fault or the circuit board.
Four wires coming from motor, field winding pair and armature pair to enable forward and reverse rotataion.
I test ran my motor with circuit board removed and using jumpers putting the armature and field windings in series and motor ran at full speed.
Motor good, proceeded to circuit board and found shorted Triac.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Possibly the problem, the parts list shows a simple circuit board. I just need a little time to disassemble and inspect.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Finally opened it up and no obvious problem. Found a look alike circuit card at Bestline and ordered one. Got the new card installed today and the unit now runs without blowing the fuse. The old card is available, as noted, no obvious issue.

Bestline has quite a few parts for various power feeds, also some other interesting product lines.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

amscore1;

Do you remember the part number of the triac you used as a replacement? I figure it might be as easy to replace both on the board that I pulled and possibly end up with a good spare board. Probably not worth doing a lot of testing.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Hi Russ, bought a pack of 10 from Radio Spares, stock No, 509-550, Thyristor, BT151-500C, rated at 7.5 Amps, 500 Volts.
Attachments
20191004_053900.jpg
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Thanks, much appreciated.