For you B-port fans

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

For you B-port fans

Post by earlgo »

My friend went to an auction and bought a Bridgeport and one of the attachments was this shaper head. I never heard of one and thought you B-Port fans might be interested.
Shaper attachment
Shaper attachment
Shaper nameplate
Shaper nameplate
The other attachment was a horizontal mill head.
He got a really good price for the mill with DROs, power x and y, 2 attachments and all the chips he can use. :lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Re: For you B-port fans

Post by BadDog »

That's called a slotter head (aka E head). Main use is cutting keyways in gears, though obviously other operations are possible for the creative minded.

Looks nicer than mine. They generally see relatively little use, so most are in good condition regarding wear. But the PO of mine decided to slather it with gray house paint, without adequate prep, and it now looks like a dry lake bed. But it doesn't affect function, so it's not worth my time making it pretty.

Also, they make tool (bit) sets for them, but they can be harder to find. I just bought old style HSS generic boring bars (the kind that take a standard HSS square bit) and cut them in half. Now I can grind a regular lathe tools to use in the slotter.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Typically, those would be mounted to the rear, so that you only had to turn the turret 180 degrees to put it in play.

Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveM wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:51 pm Typically, those would be mounted to the rear, so that you only had to turn the turret 180 degrees to put it in play.

From Tony Griffith:

Model E Slotting (Shaping) Head.
Motor: 1/4 h.p.
Stroke length: 0 to 4 inches in increments of 1/4 inch.
Stroke rate per minute: 70, 100, 145, 205, 295 and 420.
Height: 20-13/16 inches
Depth: 17-7/16 inches
Width: 8-1/8 inches
The unit could be mounted on the back of the ram, ready to be swung into position should the job demanded it.

The Slotting Head, mounted on the back of the ram, swung into its working position

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Anyone have a clue what these are selling for? Are e-bay prices to be trusted?
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I have one with a new set of BP cutters in great shape . $750 PU in Phoenix no shipping as I ain't into crate building! Dang handy when you need one.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

John. It has been over 24 hrs. I think yours is a deal these days. A little story; I purchased my E head from Yahoo Auctions- that was long time ago. It does have the knuckle (which is special to it or somebody has a J head on a round ram). I payed less for mine but no tooling was included. It was without that belt cover and the 1/3 hp motor was shot. I looked at the prices of tooling years ago and seemed steep. I had a nice set of tooling which came from another slotter. All they needed was a small bushing. Eventually, i had to find a new original Bridgeport tool and payed near $60. for 1 of them. Crazy!
So in the end, my E head doesn't have the correct belt cover, doesn't have the full tooling package and not the correct motor.
Pretty smooth move, that. Gosh, I'd like to find an original belt cover.
spro

Post by spro »

Also; mine came strapped to a pallet..
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Another question: Is this brake supposed to lock the spindle when the handle is pulled 'out' instead of rotated? In this particular one the brake works if the handle is rotated left or right but does not engage when the handle is pulled 'out'.
Bridgeport Brake
Bridgeport Brake
( sorry, I must have sneezed when the phone/camera clicked)
TIA
--earlgo
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

As I recall rotate first then pull out the knob.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Yeh. I'll have to look for that on the "E" head :)
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This is a J head according to the label and rotating and pulling the handle out does not apply the brake. Only rotating the handle in either direction does. Is something out of adjustment or is this just the way it is? The owner has not gotten the user manual yet, so we are just speculating.
--earlgo