For you B-port fans

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: For you B-port fans

Post by NP317 »

That sounds like normal operation: Rotate either direction to brake.
Same on my newer milling machine.
RN
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Rotate the handle either way that should apply the brake. With brake applied to keep the brake applied then you pull the handle towards you to keep the brake engaged, handy when changing heavy tooling like a boring head or tightening the draw bar. personally I never found the need to lock the spindle, I just hold the brake on till I get the draw bar loosened or tightened.
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Rotating the handle and then pulling to lock was my intuitive solution when the issue came up. We tried that and the brake disengaged.
This begs the question, why is there a cam-lock feature on the handle if it releases the brake?
As mentioned, the owner is waiting for the operation manual. Hopefully it will explain what the use is, and even better, how to fix it if it fails.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I would say worn parts somewhere in that area. If a step pulley head pretty easy to get into that area,vari speeds a little harder. Like I said if the brake it's self works OK I wouldn't worry too much about it.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I have one of the 2 horse heads on my BP, which was provided with the machine when purchased. The handle on mine rotates in either direction, which applies the brake. Pulling on the handle locks it in the chosen position, so the spindle can be locked (handle pulled), or free (handle relaxed). Pulling out does nothing more than lock the handle in the given position.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The Bport owner got the manual for the series 1 machine and it says clearly in it that there is no adjustment for the brake in the J head. One has to disassemble the drive unit to replace the bands. It doesn't mention anything about previous proctology experience, but it appears that it might be useful. :lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.