Warner-Swassy Turret lathe... anybody interested?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sandman2234

Warner-Swassy Turret lathe... anybody interested?

Post by sandman2234 »

Got an email from a friend tonight, seems I may be purchasing two of these fine lathes. Room has gotten a little tight, and I am going to have to store them for him, or buy them. Or worse than that, I might have to sell one or both of them. Loading them shouldn't be a problem, since the shop has an overhead crane system.
If I have to sell one or both, I might be able to deliver them within a reasonable distance, but you better have a way to unload them. Price will have to reflect the shipping cost, and my time. Anybody interested? Pictures will be posted as soon as I figure out what he is talking about and on which machines. ( I think he has a camera)
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
sandman2234

Re: Warner-Swassy Turret lathe... anybody interested?

Post by sandman2234 »

I can't believe nobody said anything about me calling this a turret mill in the subject line. Got it fixed now to be a lathe. Doesn't look like I am going to need to post any pictures, cause nobody is even remotely interested. David
OwenMcGee

Post by OwenMcGee »

Remotely....which size are they and where are they located???

OMcG
Davey

Post by Davey »

Be sure to post pics,and prices if possible! I would like to see the condition of these lathes. I may know someone interested.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

The two are owned by a friend. He bought one, and then another came around and to tell you the truth, it was a good deal, so he bought it. I know the guy that rebuilt one of them, and it is in excellant shape. The other, I am not sure about.
He knows the history of them, and is an honest man. If he says it is good, it is, if it is a piece of junk, he will tell. Just the way he has always been.
One of the conditions he placed on me "purchasing one" for myself, instead of selling them, was that if I keep one, another long time friend got a chance at the other.The owner is a personal friend of both of us, and I don't think he would want either of us to have a machine that would give us trouble. They just don't use them anymore, so why take up shop space. I just talked to him, and he is pretty interested. One of them will come without a chuck, since the air chuck on it will work flat on a milling machine table, and is worth almost as much as the machine.
so it is left up to me to decide if I want one.
Haven't made up my mind, but will in the near future. I don't have a big lathe, just a tabletop S.B. but I don't think I need a turret lathe. Will look at it soon, and decide.
Will post pictures here if one is going up for sale, along with prices.
David
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

The lathes are located in Jacksonville, Florida.
He has a crane to load it with, so loading isn't a problem.
The size, I am not sure of... but will check next time I go to the shop. I think he has a book on it, which might even tell the weight. Should have looked into that before I mentioned I could deliver them with in a reasonable range. I have seen guesstamations from 2 to 10 thousand pounds from other machine owners, so I have no clue.
When I do get into taking care of this, I will know a lot more. No fire to put out, just trying to open up some shop space, so I will get to it asap. David
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Well,
It has been decided. Sorry to have bothered everybody with this post. The two machines are a # 4 and a # 5 Warner & Swasey turret lathe. One will be going to my garage, and the other will be going to the other friends shop. If I get one, he gets the other means none will be for sale. Sorry.
We are supposed to go down this morning to decide who gets which.
The tooling will remain the property of the current owner, but will be given to us to use and store. (Makes borrowing it a little easier, since neither of us actually own the accessories, and the guy that owns it will have no use for them)
Moving it should be no problem, since the other new owner has a wrecker service.
Cost was cheap. . No charge for the machine. Let's see, that makes a Fray MIl, a AC Campbell Nibbler, several air compressors, More metal than I can imagine, and now a lathe. No wait, forgot about the... I can't list all that.... The man has been Good to me, to say the least. The list of things he has done for me just goes on and on.
Friends like that are just hard to come by, even if he never gave me a single machine. Just a good friend. David from Jax
How is that for a GOOD FRIEND?????