Cutting a Helical Gear on a Non-Universal Mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Matt_Isserstedt

Cutting a Helical Gear on a Non-Universal Mill

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

Ho ho ho. Here's a little concept that's been rattling around in my brain.

It is in regards to cutting a helical gear with a horizontal mill and dividing head. The restriction is that the mill doesn't have a universal swiveling table.

My thought is that if the axis of the dividing head setup with the gear blank could be setup on the correct angle...say a sine bar setup on its side used against an indicated parallel, then the gear could be cut on a standard orthogonal horizontal mill.

I realize this seems far out. Helical gears have always intrigued me. I have the horizontal mill. My dividing head is in the works. Just thought this would be a cool first demo project, but alas, the limitation of a non-universal table.

I suppose the same setup could be used on the shaper, setup similar to above.

I've been trying to think of a good reason why this wouldn't work...and I can't yet. Help me out here and point out why this won't work if it is obvious.
John_Stevenson

Re: Cutting a Helical Gear on a Non-Universal Mill

Post by John_Stevenson »

Matt,
Sorry this won't work.
Your setup is correct but you need to move the DH along in that axis.
With the setup you describe although you are mounting the DH at the required angle the direction of travel is still at 90 degrees to the cutter.
Only quick way I can see is to use a sub table with it's own slide arangement and lock the normal bed off.

John S.
Matt_Isserstedt

Yes, I see the problem now.

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

For some reason I thought the teeth were cut on a straight line instead of a helix...guess it's in the name....

Stay tuned for the next half-baked idea...
willy

Re: Yes, I see the problem now.

Post by willy »

I hold in my hand a picture of the helical gear. I bought 8 of those from a gear shop for $400. Image

-willy-
Anonymous

Re: Cutting a Helical Gear on a Non-Universal Mill

Post by Anonymous »

Matt, don't you have a B-port? Set the head over correct for your helix, rig a gear train from your X-feed screw to your dividing head and you have helixes. Only problem is that whimpy R8 spindle... Cheers, Stan.