New G0519 now up and running

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Jose, I split the middle on that. Much higher and at full up you'd need a stool to get to the drawbar. I stacked boxes, stools and flat boards in various height mockups in the shop for weeks before the mill got here, then did a lot of measuring on the real deal. The 36" table height came out at the best compromise between table height and the full range of machine motion. 40" to 44" would be better for my frame but I didn't want to hunt a stool to change a tool.

The table is 10" from the bottom of the base and the top of the motor ends up at about 54" with the gear box dovetail level with the top of the Z ways. The 26" tall base puts the motor at 80" or so when the gearbox up. That's nearly 7'. :D

That all said, the design of the stand is easy to modify. If after some time I find that 80% or more of my work has the head down, I could easily tack together another rectangle or two of 2" tube and bump it up 2" at a shot.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Update to consolidate info on the G0519

I had time to check the various axis travel. X is good, not making any appreciable error over a couple of inches. Did not check full travel, but a couple of post checks and so far 10 turns = 1".

Y axis is off precisely .002 per inch of travel. It accumulates like clockwork.

Z axis is dead on for maybe 1 ~ 1.5 rotations, then loses about .004. Every 2-3 rotations the error compounds. I took the Z micro feed all apart, checked for burrs, lubed, cleaned, etc. No change, rather repeatable. I sent an email to Grizzly about the Z error and they responded quickly, saying they are reviewing the notes I sent.

Tram - .008 shim on the left side of the post to get it inside of .001 in the X direction with tight column bolts. Then ran out of play time. More later!
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Update: Grizzly sent a new clutch/gear piece for the Z micro feed under warranty - no problem and it was here in a week. This one is "better" ... but.

This one checks out off also. Different though. If you start at the right spot, it's +0 on the first .1 (one handwheel rotation), then it loses -.002 on the next round. Holds that until you reach .5 (5 rotations) then it loses .005 (total .007). It's real "accurate" - that is if you start somewhere in that progression, say go one turn and reset the indicator, it will be dead on for 3 more hand wheel rotations then lose .005. Ugh. Will call Griz tech back on Monday.

I have a scale to mount on this axis but it would be nice if it worked at least as well as the table screws.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Falcon67--

Although I have never measured the consistency of the fine down-feed on my G3616, I HAVE noticed that it is far more consistent if I set the zero after about a quarter inch of down feed.

I never start milling unless the quill is at least a quarter to half an inch extended. That is where I set zero on my home-built DRO or the down-feed dial.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Thanks for the tip - I usually do that too, never start the feed right against the stop. But this error is consistent even with the quill extended 1", 2", 3" etc. Doesn't matter where you start with the feed.

The real kicker with the new clutch part - there is almost zero backlash in the fine feed. Go figure. If you start in the right spot, it's dead accurate for about .3 down and up both.

[EDIT 4/28/2010] No need to bump the thread, but an update on the Z issue for anyone reading here. "Fixed" it by putting on digital scale. Still not sure why the fine feed graduations jump out of sync (probably something with the spindle rack) but having the digital scale on the front made it a non-issue. The feed is smooth and works well, and the zero anywhere feature of the scale is danged handy.
Last edited by Falcon67 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D0ZX

Post by D0ZX »

Falcon
That is a nice setup you got going on!

Can you tell me what the advantage of 3 phase is over say 240 single phase? besides the variable speed. Is it more efficient than single phase? Lower operating cost's?

The p/n you listed for the vfd JNEV-202-H2 is that suppose to be JNEV-202-H1 or are you inputing 3phase?

What amp breaker are you feeding the vfd with?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not up to speed on the 3phase stuff and am looking hard at buying a mill like yours. I really like the variable speed capability you have.
Thanks
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Thanks for the kind words and the correction!

Oops - wrong model number:

Dealers Industrial Equipment, LLC
"2 HP 230 Volt -- USE AS A PHASE CONVERTER PLUS GET VARIABLE SPEED, Model JNEV-202-H1, Single Phase Input ONLY, Three Phase Output "

Three phase is supposed to make for a smoother running motor and more efficient use of the power. The VFD ramps the motor up to speed in 5 seconds (thats adjustable), so there's less start up current. Seems like every little bit helps. A big part was the ability to move the speeds around some. I'd sure like to do this with the lathe. I also like the quick stop - I've set the VFD to stop the motor in 1 second. No spin down, off is off now. E-stop is .5 seconds to full stop. It's nice to know that if something starts to go bad, you can whack that button and ALL STOP. Reverse is nice to have too.

I'm sure it's just an impression, but after hooking all that up and playing with it, I was ready to do every motor in the shop LOL. After using the ramp up feature on the 3 phase motor, all the other single phase motors seem so "violent" when they start.

The circuit is simple - 220v run using #12 (12-2 w/G) and fused with a 20A breaker. The run is about 30'.
D0ZX

Post by D0ZX »

Thanks Falcon
The vfd looks like the way to go!
Now my problem is that I wanted to get a zx45 from WholesaleTool in Indiana because I can pick it up, but they have single phase motors on their zx45..
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Yea, not many with a 3 phase. I considered buying the G0484 and then buying the 3 phase motor from the G0519 to replace it, but that added $220 + shipping to the cost.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

D0ZX wrote:Now my problem is that I wanted to get a zx45 from WholesaleTool in Indiana because I can pick it up, but they have single phase motors on their zx45..
One of my father's first new machines was his J head Bridgeport - purchased in the late 50's. With no 3 ph in the residential neighborhood he got it with a single phase motor. It hasn't caused him any problems. I've logged thousands of hours on it. The BP has a brake, so instant reverse stops aren't needed.

Eventually, he contacted the power company and they ran the three phase almost a half mile to him for free. Things have changed since then. For quite a while he didn't use more than the nominal minimum charge.

Some of the neighbors felt the new wires adversely affected their TV reception. He eventually was forced to move to an industrial zoned area.

BC
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Falcon67

Re: New G0519 now up and running

Post by Falcon67 »

Just a 2014 Update on this machine. Still serving me well, but thanks to re-arranging the shop to accommodate a new 12x36 lathe the G0519 had to move. That reminded me that the fabricated leveling feet I made for the stand just did not work worth stale beans. So I updated the support feet to the same ones I used on the lathe stand. (Rockler #81239 or equiv). These were $11 each on Amazon. Search for "2000 lb leg leveler" or "Heavy duty leg leveler". I'd believe 600 lbs (Rockler description) is more like it. The flange nuts used to lock the adjustment are M10 x 1.50 from Lowes.

2x2 14 gage tube 3 1/2" long were used for the support pieces.

The old feet were removed and the new supports welded in place.

Now I can level the machine without it scooching around on the floor when I try to tighten up the support feet.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."