Apprentice Machinist's Mill Project

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill_Cook

Apprentice Machinist's Mill Project

Post by Bill_Cook »

Looking for something quick and gratifying to make on the mill?

http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/_20 ... red_files/

Scroll down to:

puzzle.txt
puzzle1.gif
puzzle2.gif
puzzle3.gif
puzzle4.gif
puzzle5.gif
puzzle6.gif

The answer to - "What can this machine do"? - with a challenge.

The Dropbox contains over a gb of machining info and pix. From an explanation of the Machinerys HB chart on compound indexing, to machines, machinery moves, scans, fixes, projects, shops...over 10,000 files.

There are text files with each subject, so if the files are downloaded they can be searched.

BC
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

Neat, and very timely -- I was just starting to look around for holiday-gift project plans.

-AG
Rule number one: Everything takes longer and costs more.
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

Sorry for the hijack but there was an article in Machinist workshop about inside out turning. If I run across it I'll post the issue. T author made an ornament with Christmas tree bore in it.

Dennis
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

tailshaft56 wrote:Sorry for the hijack but there was an article in Machinist workshop about inside out turning. If I run across it I'll post the issue. T author made an ornament with Christmas tree bore in it.

Dennis
I'd like to see it. Maybe some others have some interesting beginner projects they can share.

It's fun to make chips, but more gratifying to be making something other than scrap.

BC

It's fun to drive the tractor, but more gratifying to accomplish something with it at the same time.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

Thanks for posting that puzzle project - I think I'll make one and see if it works as a student project for the Machining Group at TechShop.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
Diesel II

Post by Diesel II »

My six year old boy loves to help me make chips. This will be a good project for him and I to make on my new Bridgeport with DRO. He is the only kid in his first grade class that knows what a .001 of an inch is. What a great way to teach the decimal system to kids. I bet the liberal arts school administrators didn’t think of that when they scraped all the machining classes out of the high schools.
mlucek

Post by mlucek »

Is there a picture of this puzzle ? I didn't see one on the files link. :)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

mlucek wrote:Is there a picture of this puzzle ? I didn't see one on the files link. :)
I think that the pieces go together to form a cube.

Steve
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

mlucek wrote:Is there a picture of this puzzle ? I didn't see one on the files link. :)
"The pieces can be made from any material and will test your machinist ability. The pieces must be within .005 to fit. The real trick is not making the puzzle but figuring out how it fit together and be interlocking.
If the puzzle is made properly it will fit together and the release of a single piece will cause the whole puzzle to come apart."
"The pieces must be within .005 to fit." is misleading. The pieces have to fit each other.

You'll know when it is made right, and put together right.

It's easier to figure out while making the parts than starting cold.

BC
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I've seen that in wood, so I doubt the .005 " is quite required. :-)
...lew...
Bill Shields

Puzzle

Post by Bill Shields »

I have many variants of that:

a cube, a ball, a 'star' - all use the same interlocking shapes in wood.

My dad gave them to me when I was a kid to try to keep me quite and entertained. (neither worked).

It will fit together easily as long as nothing is too tight. Loose is not an issue.
easymike29

Post by easymike29 »

Bill_Cook wrote:.....I'd like to see it. Maybe some others have some interesting beginner projects they can share.
It's fun to make chips, but more gratifying to be making something other than scrap.
BC
Novelties have their place but apprentice machinists should be thinking about making sine bars/plates, parallels, v-blocks, vises, etc. You may not have another opportunity when you go out into the real world.

Gene