Vertical Mill Design

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Vertical Mill Design

Post by spro »

There is a mill over in 4sale etc which goads me to say something. This Cincinnatti is called a 1c because it is small Compared to #2 size machines they made.. Let's consider something about gearhead drives and how that is good with a lathe. Then think about a vertical mill with gear selections within its horizontal ram directly to its vertical head-which can of course rotate. Serious positive drive scenario. Not belts which need tightening and loading bearings. Probably the way it works is a splined transmission input shaft to the ram and then a mini trans right there. Oil bath, don't know but severely cool. It's been known a long time that other countries buy/granted /out our best machinery to make other things. Dang. gear on gear, whoulda thought :)
pacrat

Re: Vertical Mill Design

Post by pacrat »

spro, Re Cincinnatti Toolmaster

Thanks for your observations. I had thought to give a good deal to someone with use of this mach. As I have none. With 10" rotary table, big vice, and universal index head. I had thought if I asked a cheap price for attachments and threw the mill in for free it would go quick.

What's a fella to do?
spro

Re: Vertical Mill Design

Post by spro »

Pac. You've already done what you can here now. The thought may simmer a bit. I'm way over on the eastcoast and loaded with less and different machines so am no candidate. Someone closer will get a clear idea of what you made available here. I never even knew this model existed and even if I did, it would have been too expensive back when I had the passion.
FWIW I have an Index 60 horizontal. It's an okay #2 size but they also have a dovetailed overarm or ram. A robust drive with gear selection for speeds and feeds. So it was inevitable I would mess with that and try to make something similar to what you already have. I located and bored the hollow cast ram and set up a crazy way to machine it flat using the horizontal drive. Then rigged a grinder base to final grind the face by many passes. Located a passive head (for the idea was to drive it from the back thru a splined shaft or a small tranny)
Because it being sliding ram it could relocate and the smallish head wouldn't load it down by weighing what a B'prt active head would.
Many thoughts and designs as i recall to allow it not interfere with the horiz arbor support. Many other considerations and etcs'.
Are we bored yet? Yes I mounted a speed reducer to the end and made the splined shaft and the bearings were already designed around. :lol: Still it's not a turret mill. It was made to be a horiz and that is what it basically is. Further, the existance of a mill as yours renders the whole exercise only that.