Welcome to the milling machine forum!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

AllThumbz

Welcome to the milling machine forum!

Post by AllThumbz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:12 am

Hi there...welcome to our new milling machine forum, for the discussion of the restoration, maintenance and use of all types of home shop milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

This forum is newbie and home shop friendly.
All levels of users are welcome.
All questions are welcome.
Please do not feel intimidated about participating.

Let us help one another to learn, to keep our machines running, and to have fun with our hobby!

Best,

Nelson T.
a/k/a "Allthumbz"

knudsen

Re: Welcome to the milling machine forum!

Post by knudsen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for opening up this and the new lathe forum! Good luck with your new job, thumbs. :mrgreen:

Davo J

Post by Davo J » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 pm

I think it is a good idea as well, just hope people post here so it's easy to find, instead of in the general section. Also applies to the lathe forum.
Dave

MikeA

Post by MikeA » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for getting this forum up - I'm hoping to learn about milling and some of the 'tricks' you experienced folk may take for granted.

At some time in the distant future, perhaps I'll be able to contribute something.

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!

AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:48 pm

We've gotten a lot accomplished in the last two months. We got the forum up and running, and transferred a lot of posts over from the General Forum to this forum.

How can we make this forum better / more useful to you?
Please give us your suggestions...

Thanks!

Best,

Nelson

mcbrinley

Post by mcbrinley » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 am

Thank you for letting me partake of this forum, I joined out for a search for supplies /parts.
Becoming frustrated with the fake sights, I turn to the mass collection of engineering minds for help.
I have a taft-peirce surface grinder with a broken gear that may be made of gold, because to get it mad will cost $1800.00 (WOW). So I cast a net to your great minds for help finding a traverse gear so I can get back to making products at home. Is there someone who can direct me to the one person/place to find this part?
Mitch

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 pm

There are several sources for stock gears. They can be purchased in a soft state, which allows for easily making alterations. Perhaps it would be possible to buy a stock gear and make the necessary changes so it would suit the need you have. A picture would go a long ways towards making that determination, so post one if you can.

Welcome to the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Look on page 4 to possibly identify what you have.

http://www.gearseds.com/files/6.3.1_gea ... n_rev3.pdf
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

John Evans

Post by John Evans » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Your post would probably been better over in the General area. But, to add to Harold's post a picture with tooth count and some good dimensions as tp OD-ID and thickness would give us a better idea of what you are dealing with. Also please edit your profile to show a city or state. You may have some one local that can be of help.
www.chaski.com