Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EdK

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by EdK »

Steve,

That is one gorgeous looking Index mill. I'm jealous! :lol:

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

seal killer:

I have only used the horizontal spindle in the mode shown in the link:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =4&t=84417

I have not tried it with the arbor and overarm as I don't have any cutters as yet.

Since I am over 6' tall, the planks are staying. I do plan to cut the ends off even with the base though.

Best regards, Jack
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

This is my Clausing.

I had this machine for about two years.
Is like a miniature BP
Attachments
Clausing 8520.JPG
DSCF4863.JPG
DSCF4932.JPG
DSCF4782.JPG
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

Jose, that is a nice size for a home shop. I love the toolholder you made on the door to the base.

Nelson
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

MikeA wrote:OK, but no laughing! Comparing my milling machine to the heavy metal is a bit difficult - your vise probably weighs as much as my machine!

But...it fits into the area I have and handles anything I want it to do. A 'vintage' (euphemism for really old) early 1940s' Benchmaster MV1 I bought last year in rather poor condition and restored.

I considered what machine would work in my situation and it was either a small Chinese mill or the Benchmaster. As most of you probably know, these were made in California from the 40's through perhaps the 60's and aren't readily available but highly regarded for their capabilities. I'm pleased with mine.

Best,
Mike

I wouldn't laugh! My Burke #4 is a little powerhouse just like your Benchmaster, but yours has a much nicer table, which is the worst limitation of the Burke #4- only a single slot in the table. I wish I had a Diamond, for the better table or a Van Norman #12, but I cannot find either of those locally.

Nelson
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Jack--

Although I was teasing a bit, the machine must be solid atop those planks or you would do something else.

My 3616 continues to spin along well. I can't complain and neither does it no matter how I mistreat it. I go back and forth about DRO, no DRO, y and z powerfeed, no y and z powerfeed, CNC, no CNC.

I suppose there is no problem here money won't solve. :)

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

AllThumbz wrote:Jose, that is a nice size for a home shop. I love the toolholder you made on the door to the base.

Nelson
The original mill had a cheesy board that only could hold a few collets.

I made a larger one by I had to put a support bellow.
The rest is factory original, is just a board.

The yellow plastic box is Harbor Freight box that was just ideal to store my end-mills.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

Steve and Jose,
Those are beautiful looking machines you have.
Dave
EdK

Post by EdK »

Jose,

The last two pictures showing your arbor press on that stand gave me an idea for using the stand that came with my 4x6 bandsaw. I built a new stand for the bandsaw and did not want to throw away the original stand but had not figured out what to do with it yet. I'm going to mount my arbor press on one end and probably my motor with wire wheels on it on the other end. Thanks for posting the pictures. That sure is a nice size mill.

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

AllThumbz wrote:
MikeA wrote:OK, but no laughing! Comparing my milling machine to the heavy metal is a bit difficult - your vise probably weighs as much as my machine!

But...it fits into the area I have and handles anything I want it to do. A 'vintage' (euphemism for really old) early 1940s' Benchmaster MV1 I bought last year in rather poor condition and restored.

I considered what machine would work in my situation and it was either a small Chinese mill or the Benchmaster. As most of you probably know, these were made in California from the 40's through perhaps the 60's and aren't readily available but highly regarded for their capabilities. I'm pleased with mine.

Best,
Mike

I wouldn't laugh! My Burke #4 is a little powerhouse just like your Benchmaster, but yours has a much nicer table, which is the worst limitation of the Burke #4- only a single slot in the table. I wish I had a Diamond, for the better table or a Van Norman #12, but I cannot find either of those locally.

Nelson
Hello Nelson,

Yes, these 'small' mills may not be in the same league as Bridgeports and the like, but for their size they can do some nice work. I'm pleased with my Benchmaster and now I have a rotary table and several good vises, it's becoming a major contributor for me. Having the three slots in the table is nice and gives me some flexibility, but it looks like yours has plenty of capability.

All the best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Basking in the sun:

Working:
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

seal killer:
My 3616 continues to spin along well. I can't complain and neither does it no matter how I mistreat it. I go back and forth about DRO, no DRO, y and z powerfeed, no y and z powerfeed, CNC, no CNC.
Now that I have the DRO I am convinced that it is perfect for us part time machinists. The power feed on y and x axis...not needed for now. I thought that I would add a spindle brake until someone explained how to use two wrenches on the drawbar.

One thing that I do want to modify is the spindle lever into one lever vs three.

For me CNC is not a consideration as I use the machines for pleasure and not for production or profit. In other words, I enjoy the "hands-on" rather than standing and watching them run. I look at my South Bend with collet closer, double tool lever cross-slide and tailstock turret and wonder how many parts it made before I bought it in '66. I was told that it was used to make brass electrical connector pins and sockets.

Naturally, these machines have far more production capability than I will ever get out of them.

Best regards, Jack