Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mars-red

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by mars-red »

I think I mentioned this one when I introduced myself to the forum, but I have a neat old Barker model PM. Mine has the factory overarm support (it uses a completely different head casting), which I would have thought would make it a PMO but it clearly says PM on the nameplate so go figure. It has the fine downfeed, thanks to a prior owner, but I still have the original lever downfeed parts. Both axes on the table are lever feed. I really enjoy this little machine it's a lot of fun to use.

haroldmulder

Post by haroldmulder »

Decided it was time to show of my new Milling machine. A Van Norman #10 Picked up a week ago. Waiting for some collets and the time to visit the Brother in law to pickup some arbors that were shipped to him. All the gearing on the side was installed I believe by the previous owner. Gives me 10 different speeds from 95-395RPM. Eventually will remove all this and probably install a system closer to original with 3 phase motor running off a VFD to give me variable speed. Hopefully will have this machine up and running soon to be able to restore my Hardinge Cataract Lathe.

Harold
mars-red

Post by mars-red »

haroldmulder wrote:Decided it was time to show of my new Milling machine. A Van Norman #10 Picked up a week ago. Waiting for some collets and the time to visit the Brother in law to pickup some arbors that were shipped to him. All the gearing on the side was installed I believe by the previous owner. Gives me 10 different speeds from 95-395RPM. Eventually will remove all this and probably install a system closer to original with 3 phase motor running off a VFD to give me variable speed. Hopefully will have this machine up and running soon to be able to restore my Hardinge Cataract Lathe.
Harold
Great looking machine! That's a great range of speeds too, I often wish I could get lower speeds on mine.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Whats that handle on the far right that goes out the back of the machine do Harold?
haroldmulder

Post by haroldmulder »

The big handle on the far right is rapid transverse of the table left/right. The shaft you see going to the back is the drive for the powered table feed fed by belts and pulleys in the back of the main drive shaft. Still need a belt before that is working.
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

Well, I wasn't going to post a picture of my mill as it looks like junk compared to some of the restored beauty's in this thread but I figured if after 3+ years and 18 pages of posts I didn't see one Lagun I should put it in here.

It's not pretty but it works really, really well. Surprised there aren't more on here since the company is still around and making them. Granted they are kinda pricey, but you can get great deals on used ones now. They are one of the few 'clone' mills that I have seen that in my opinion exceed normal Bridgeport's in quality and functionality (please don't flame, just my opinion, not trying to make anyone mad).

Mine isn't anything special it's a FTV-1 with powerfeeds on the X and Y axis. It has a 4 axis DRO X,Y,Z,Q. I know the quill one is weird but I got so used to having one on a previous machine I felt lost without it. Also, yes there is a Bridgeport Cherrying head hanging on the back awaiting restoration. Or at least being made good enough so I can use it. I can't wait to cut convex and concave shapes, should be fun.
Attachments
Lagun FTV-1 001 small pic.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Jaxian wrote:Well, I wasn't going to post a picture of my mill as it looks like junk compared to some of the restored beauty's in this thread but I figured if after 3+ years and 18 pages of posts I didn't see one Lagun I should put it in here.

It's not pretty but it works really, really well. Surprised there aren't more on here since the company is still around and making them. Granted they are kinda pricey, but you can get great deals on used ones now. They are one of the few 'clone' mills that I have seen that in my opinion exceed normal Bridgeport's in quality and functionality (please don't flame, just my opinion, not trying to make anyone mad).
Do not apologize. It's no secret that the BP mill has acquired a cult-like following---one that is beyond reality. They are a nice machine for the money, but far from the treasure they are reputed to be (speaking as one who has purchased two of them in his many years, both new).

Nice mill! :wink:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Hey Harold,
I have a #10 also.Not many of them around.Mine had a half inch of grease all over it......still scraping! Nice looking VN!
Larry
haroldmulder

Post by haroldmulder »

Thanks Larry. So far I've come across at least 2-3 other people who have one as well.
Just got a brochure on it today that I plan on scanning then posting it up later.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Jaxian wrote: It's not pretty but it works really, really well.

Waddya mean, "not pretty" ? That's a beautiful machine and I agree with your asssessment of its comparison to a Bridgeport (and I'm a Bridgeport owner).

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
OldSkull

Post by OldSkull »

Your kidding don't you? She look amazing! This is my dream machine (FTV-1) They got 2 in the tool room where my step brother work, all the guys like it and always find an excuse to use it. Your machine look like new to me, I try to get one close to my location and it never happen or the price was to freaking high. Don't ever excuse yourself for telling the truth again! :)
dmartin

Post by dmartin »

Here is my Grizzly G0730, it looks like the last one pictured on page 17 of this thread and like the Husky that is linked to on ebay. I just finished installing the DRO last week and also added a work light. I have had no problems with it and do enjoy running it. I do get tired of changing the speed via the V belt but that is a minor inconveince that I am now used to.

click here

click here