Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Sunset Machine

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by Sunset Machine »

Here's a sketch from a 1904 B&S catalog showing the head on the left. The Asians still make these heads today, and I have seen righty's as a special order. The B&S is a left hand machine, the majority of table controls are there. The spindle even has a left hand threaded nose.
Attachments
1904 B&S No.2.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

I'm always interested in the older machines as well. Unfortunately my shop floor and it's size can't take the larger and heavier machines or that's what I'd have. And I've got a real soft spot for universals, shapers, and planers as well. :-) Have to agree with Spro also. The new machines are just machines.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Here's my HF mill/drill... WTTool stand and Enco power feed.
20150710_191553.jpg
Pb57

Post by Pb57 »

Here is my Acer mill I bought last summer. Equipped with Newall DRO.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Nice Acer.

^^ My HF cheapie pales in comparison. But I figure it's better than no mill. :mrgreen:
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

Jawn wrote:But I figure it's better than no mill.
And right you are. The education you will get on that mill will be worth the price of the mill, even if you sell it for scrap when you get your next one.

Oh yes you will, you're addicted now. :)

- Wes
Pb57

Post by Pb57 »

Yes it is better then no mill. I used to have a welding and small machine shop years ago. I then got into law enforcement but kept my lathe and mill as well as other equipment. I did a lot of restorations on anything old and mechanical. I got divorced 10 years ago and had to sell everything which sucked bad. I will be retiring in a few years and have now just got all of the equipment I used to have before the divorce. I just hope I live long enough to enjoy it again. Paul
spro

Post by spro »

Great milling machines! May they serve you well. Everyone has different locations and requirements so we aren't comparing Gala apples to Campari sweet tomatoes. One or the other is best at the time and place. Everybody knows this stuff but I couldn't get a full size turret mill into my basement unless, well, it couldn't happen. I was able to place smaller equipment, one of those being a mill/drill. It is earlier and has its quirks but so convenient to use, I would miss it. Something like the Acer (which is very good) is for another life or something. Can't say that either.
spro

Post by spro »

Something else about Sunset's pic of a Brown & Sharpe; the tie bars or overarm supports. This component is missing from turret mills and m/d s for reasons but they increase the stability of horizontal mills. The milling arbor/cutter is contained tightly to the knee for serious metal removal. More to this about m/ds...
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

I've never felt the need for them myself. In fact if you look again at the pic of my mill with the head mounted, you'll see that the arbor support is inbound - between the cutter and the column - for visibility. Not the most rigid way to do things, but I like to watch.
dpaulson6354

Post by dpaulson6354 »

Must say we just bought the same Acer for the robotics team at Granada Hills charter highschool a great machine and they give great service and price My only concern is we have all these short kids that cant reach the drawbar.
Dave Paulson
14 years doing First robotics
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You should investigate one of the air operated draw bar actuators similar to this one. They really work well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Draw-Bar- ... J8X1656PqA
(I just picked this as an example. Lots of suppliers have these.)
Or a foot stool. :lol:
Whichever fits your budget.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.