Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dgehricke

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by dgehricke »

Burke #4 mill with Universal table Vertical attachment lots of #9 B&S tooling
Attachments
BUrke #4 Mill.jpg
Scott

Post by Scott »

Guess I will play.

Made a trade for this one..Super happy about the condition, and everything works like new..I traded a plasma cutter for it.. I also made a deal with another guy that had a perfect 15 hp motor for my RFC. Free motor /Ebay panel kit for $275, and now have three phase to run it.. I had to put in the miles to get it,(500) but everybody got a deal..All the oils are changed, and the mill cleaned up very nice. Has a great patina on it..I will never paint it.. :mrgreen:
Attachments
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0007.JPG
ss4.JPG
SS 3.JPG
ss cutter (2).JPG
PICT0003.JPG
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Beautiful! I always wanted a K&T or Cinci universal. Don't need it, can't justify it, but always wanted. Same for a big(ish) shaper.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You know your RPC is big when it has wheels on it.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here’s my little Burke...
Attachments
003C6DD0-4D83-4825-A254-9C0A035A7F6F.jpeg
F803B07A-B79E-43B1-8A63-8D04DCBE7BA0.jpeg
C177B9B1-EC34-4020-A6D0-0CF1A141DEA0.jpeg
1AFD7256-4B76-4810-971B-3379794EFD36.jpeg
F42B1577-A594-4E33-9309-6C50935B4EC6.jpeg
826C0253-BBF9-49CF-8B0C-90F41EA4ADD4.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I like your little orange flag.

It should read "Remove before flight".

Steve
Scott

Post by Scott »

SteveM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:36 pm You know your RPC is big when it has wheels on it.

Steve
That, and i was real tired of kicking this cart back, and forth between my shipping container, and my shop. Figured if I made it single use, then that madness stops. I did have to build a frame around the cart to keep it from sagging. Guy I got the motor from said was a 10hp, but the 5 on the tag looked like a zero,, Turned out to be a 15 and just about perfect size for anything in my shop. Very quiet motor, and the guy did say it was a good one..Fixes all the sawmills in Springfield Oregon, and is his line of work.. He would of got me a 10 VFD cheap enough, but i wanted old school for this thing..His shop has about 25 employees with large 400/500 amp Lincoln welders in it.Also is completely solar powered.. Pretty impressive setup.. I bought a turn key box from Ebay ,and picked it up in Gaston Oregon.. Plug and play for about $275.00 it really works well on this mill..(5 hp main motor, and two other one for table/coolant pumps.. Wild leg went on the coolant pump contactor, and no issues there either. Figure I was not going to use that pump anyway, but nice it works fine..
My older F-150 took a beating pulling over the mountain ranges, but handled it.. Trailer weighs 2500, and the Mill is 5000..
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Scott wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:54 pmI bought a turn key box from Ebay
You can get a turn-key VFD box?

I'll have to look into that.

I have a nice, old 1-1/2 hp 3-phase motor from my dad's shop that I want to make a converter out of.

Steve
Scott

Post by Scott »

Turn key rotary phase box. Add Motor.. Good enough for this mill. Figure with the free motor, might as well get up and running as fast as possible.

http://www.cromanconverters.com/3-Phase ... _c_16.html
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Jaxian wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:56 am Well, I wasn't going to post a picture of my mill as it looks like junk compared to some of the restored beauty's in this thread but I figured if after 3+ years and 18 pages of posts I didn't see one Lagun I should put it in here.

It's not pretty but it works really, really well. Surprised there aren't more on here since the company is still around and making them. Granted they are kinda pricey, but you can get great deals on used ones now. They are one of the few 'clone' mills that I have seen that in my opinion exceed normal Bridgeport's in quality and functionality (please don't flame, just my opinion, not trying to make anyone mad).

Mine isn't anything special it's a FTV-1 with powerfeeds on the X and Y axis. It has a 4 axis DRO X,Y,Z,Q. I know the quill one is weird but I got so used to having one on a previous machine I felt lost without it. Also, yes there is a Bridgeport Cherrying head hanging on the back awaiting restoration. Or at least being made good enough so I can use it. I can't wait to cut convex and concave shapes, should be fun.
Any chance you could post or send me some detail pictures of your quill DRO scale mounting?

I have a Lagun FT-1 and I am looking to put a 3-axis DRO on the machine and I am thinking of putting the Z scale on the quill vs. the knee. That is unless someone on here can tell me why it would be better to have it on the knee??
-Frank K.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I don't use DRO's, but the way I operate milling machines, having one on the quill doesn't make as much sense as one on the knee. I generally lock the quill and use the knee to deepen the cut, as that's how I have the most control. If I'm drilling and need to control depth, I have a quick stop that is easily installed and removed.

How you tend to work might be the best way to decide where you want that third axis. Give considerable thought to that. There is no right or wrong, not as far as I'm concerned.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm I don't use DRO's, but the way I operate milling machines, having one on the quill doesn't make as much sense as one on the knee. I generally lock the quill and use the knee to deepen the cut, as that's how I have the most control. If I'm drilling and need to control depth, I have a quick stop that is easily installed and removed.

How you tend to work might be the best way to decide where you want that third axis. Give considerable thought to that. There is no right or wrong, not as far as I'm concerned.

H
Hi Harold,

Thanks for the thoughts on the subject; I am a hobbyist with no hands-on experience in the trade so I have not seen enough machines to know if one method is more common than the other.

So typically for most operations where you are looking for accuracy on the depth you are touching off on the work then locking the quill and moving up with the knee to the desired dimension?
-Frank K.