Shopping for 6" Rotary Table...

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bolsterman

Shopping for 6" Rotary Table...

Post by Bolsterman »

I'm considering a Griz 6" rotary table H7527 for my X3 mill, since I have $100 of credit at Amazon. Seems the H7527 offers a lot of accessories for the money (sub $300). But is it any good?

I've also been playing with the idea of the Phase II 6" Rotary Table. On sale without the extra goodies for $275, at Travers.

Anybody want to encourage me? Or warn me away?

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7527-Rot ... 212&sr=8-1

EDIT: Found some negative posts re the Grizzly:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=28993
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMin ... ssage/5454
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.craft ... 6e1dd6c15f

Whoa! Just found this post by JR:

http://chaski.com/homemachinist/viewtop ... 8869a60221

Maybe that answers my question!!

I recently called Phase II and asked about origin, they said their product is made in China (not Taiwan).
A Bona Fide Soggy Bottom Boy
Bolsterman

Re: Shopping for 6" Rotary Table...

Post by Bolsterman »

No guidance?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bolsterman wrote:No guidance?
I'd love to comment, but I am unable. Don't know anything about the rotab.
One thing I always recommend---buy the largest rotab you can accommodate. I can't think of anything more annoying than trying to make a setup and there's no room for clamps.

By contrast, if you use a rotab on edge, the larger they are, the more they interfere with the spindle/head assembly. A well equipped shop would have more than one.

I have only one, and it's a 12" BP with an angle bracket. Sure is heavy, even without the bracket! :-)

Harold
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

I could answer, but that would be a shameless conflict of interest.

Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
steve_53

Post by steve_53 »

I've have the same Grizzley (also via Amazon!) and have not noticed any excessive movement or the center hole being off, but I have not tried to measure the table itself. The few parts I have made on table have all been well within my margins for accuracy. (.003)
Steve

[i]No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, although a large quantity of electrons were highly inconvenienced.[/i]
tmc_31

Post by tmc_31 »

I have the 6" HV Phase II rotary table with the tail stock and the dividing plates. I also mounted a 5" 3 jaw phase II chuck on the RT. The RT is nicely finished and works smoothly. I could not be happier with it. It is large enough for the work I do, light enough where I can mount it by myself without a crane or other lifting equipment, and if larger is needed, I can mount a larger fixture plate to the table.

Good luck,

Tim
Jet GHB-1340 Lathe, Washington mill/drill (RF31)
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

Bolster:

I have the 6" Grizzly and it is made in India. It is beautifully made and finished and looks great on my shelf. I don't know how one could do any better for a couple hundred bucks. I particularly like the reasonable weight.

I considered taking it appart to see how the inside is made but thought better of it since I may screw it up. I still may get up courage to do it.

For my hobby uses I am sure it will do everything that I need. If I were into heavy production, I would probably get an expensive one.

Best regards, Jack
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

Well, I did get up courage to take it apart, driven by the false statement in one of the above links that the worm gear was pot metal. The gears are steel.

I am further impressed that everything was well greased and the back face of the table has a nice spiral oil groove.

The table bearing is a large preloaded needle bearing that took a firm blow to tap it out. See the rear thrust bearing that is also needle type with the preload adjustable with the threaded sleeve.

The only thing that I can see to improve it is that the large gear could be concave against the worm rather than straight cut but for a couple hundred bucks I would't expect it.

Best regards, Jack
Attachments
Rotary table inside.jpg
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

I also have the Griz 6" - it was a good buy and looks like a nice piece of equipment. I haven't had a need for it, but thought I best have one because - well, when you need it, you need it LOL. I'm thinking about getting a 6" 4 jaw independent to set on top of it to make the tool I'm not yet using more versatile. 8)
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
thedieter

Post by thedieter »

Falcon:

Yes, it is all about capability...I have not used mine either.

I bought it before I installed a DRO for my mill, with the plan to use it for bolt circles and cutting radii and gears. Now it will be used for radii and gears so two out of three isn't bad.

Best regards, Jack
Bolsterman

Post by Bolsterman »

Well, I may have to get the Griz 6" model, it's currently on sale for $230.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a 10" Phase II. No problems with it. Extremely heavy, with the chuck installed. I just got a 4" Phase II and 3" chuck. The 4" rotab is fine, but the chuck had a lot of problems, and I'm still not sure it's going to work out. I was surprised to see that the chuck and jaws were not labeled in a way that would indicate which part goes where.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.