Shopmade Mill Vise

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hawk99

Re: Shopmade Mill Vise

Post by Hawk99 »

I hope that didn't sound like a gloat. I was just stating facts.

I also added a J Head Bridgeport built in 1956. Very smooth machine spindle with VFD. My first encounter with one.

click here

I didn't want to show the shop yet as it is still a mess. Looking from the office, lift, paint booth and body shop through double doors across the shop on the left.

Frank
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Frank,

All I can say is, WOW!!

What a great setup you now have. 8)

Is there enough room on your property to

build a home there. :?:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

As a matter of fact Ken, I am about to build a mother-in-law house here for my disabled daughter. We want her closer as we assist her in her day to day activities. It is a 1.226 acre lot in a rural county with cows and corn fields all around. We love it.

Frank
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Hawk99 wrote:As a matter of fact Ken, I am about to build a mother-in-law house here for my disabled daughter. We want her closer as we assist her in her day to day activities. It is a 1.226 acre lot in a rural county with cows and corn fields all around. We love it.

Frank
Frank,
It sounds like you have found the best
of all world's at your new place, :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
Ken.
eightball

Post by eightball »

Love the Monarch, I cut my teeth on a Monarch cw 28 years ago. It was a 16x54. Most user friendly lathe i have ever used. A real pleasure to thread on too! Excellent work on the vice, It looks great, and if patterned after a kurt im sure it works great. Are you gonna make a swivel base for it next?
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

eightball,

Probably not going to make a swivel. I don't use one very much. It just not the way I learned to use a mill vise. If I need angles to an axis, I set up for it or use a fixture. Besides that project took way too long to complete on my little round column. Maybe after I use my new/old Bridgeport for a while, I may see a use for a swivel.

Frank

Edit: Yep the Monarch is a dream to run.
skiercraig

Post by skiercraig »

Beautiful job on the vise Frank. If you still have the plans I would love to get a copy from you as I am in the planning stages of building one.

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

skiercraig,

Sure i have the plans, PM me and i will send you a set. The vise is on my round column and still performing as it always has. I am getting some slippage on the collars and a snap ring to keep them in place would be better.

Sorry I havn't been around, I spent 2013 dealing with an ailing dad. He passed Dec 29.

I will start a thread on the new shop soon. All my machines are hooked up and running, just not much production.

Frank
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Frank,

My condolences on your dad’s passing.

Ken.
One must remember.
Ken.
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

Thanks Ken, I am blessed to have had him around for 90 years. I just went to a friends funeral where two sons lost their 55 year old father.

I mean I had him for 70+ years, I am not 90 yet, he was 90.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Frank,

My condolences as well. But you have been one lucky guy, I envy your long association with your Dad.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

Thanks Jerry and all on this site. He taught me paint and body, mechanics, truck driving, but most of all he taught me how to be a man who said what he means and means what he says. I come from the days of a hand shake was all that was needed. I just hope I imparted that to my kids. Which with them in their 40's, it seems to have been passed on. I am blessed to be able to sit down and partake in the experience of all on this site and then go to my shop and enjoy. Thanks all.

Frank