Shopmade Mill Vise

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Shopmade Mill Vise

Post by spro »

It is important to say a few things. Your ability does not invite covetiveness nor was it meant to. We enjoy seeing the bright side and must consider the dark side of loss. I'm well aware these tie together. I can only say I respect. I think it was correct to mention This.
There is no denying what we have learned from our Fathers and how they sacrificed at times to allow us to learn things more than the average Joe or whatever word is now acceptable.
1956 was an interesting year for Bridgeport and the mills we decipher now. Mine appears to be a 1956 V ram with a 1953 J head. So it may have been a beater once and now a part of history. I won't change it now for that is the way it was for a reason then. It served well then and to me now.
Bill_Cook

Re: Shopmade Mill Vise

Post by Bill_Cook »

spro wrote:It is important to say a few things. Your ability does not invite covetiveness nor was it meant to. We enjoy seeing the bright side and must consider the dark side of loss. I'm well aware these tie together. I can only say I respect. I think it was correct to mention This.
There is no denying what we have learned from our Fathers and how they sacrificed at times to allow us to learn things more than the average Joe or whatever word is now acceptable.
Very Well Said Spro.

I'd very much like to have a copy of your AutoCad vise drawings PM'd Frank. I would have asked sooner, but I wasn't connected at the time.

Thanks
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.