Boxford VM30 opinion

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wpala

Boxford VM30 opinion

Post by wpala »

Hi
Boxford VM30 came up for sale in our area nice looking machine can't find to much reviews or user input on this machine I know is British equipment comes with some tooling - collets and NMTB 30 taper, all for 2300$ too much ?
it looks like nice machine, heavy 750 lbs, made in England

I'm looking for opinion and hopefully users input on this mill
thank You
Paul.W
PeteH

Re: Boxford VM30 opinion

Post by PeteH »

Tony Griffiths' website has some info: http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxfordmiller/index.html

I note his comment "Unfortunately, there was no quill feed on the head - either drilling or fine - all vertical movements had to be generated by elevating or depressing the knee." That essentially eliminates using it as a drill.
Pete in NJ
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

For that price I'd prefer a full size knee mill.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Wegman wrote:For that price I'd prefer a full size knee mill.
That would be particularly true if you consider Pete's comment that there is no quill for the spindle. For a shop with limited tooling, a mill that can't be used to locate holes isn't a good choice.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.