Lifting a mill off the pallet

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Lifting a mill off the pallet

Post by RSG »

I purchased a mill, this one to be exact http://www.busybeetools.com/products/KN ... ERIES.html and I take delivery Wed morning. My problem is getting it off the skid. Seems pretty simple but I have a very tight shop and no hoist.

I was planning on rigging up some sort of tripod with my chain fall but again the space is very limited both in area and height. I bought some feet (without pads) that are 3" high so once it's in the air I can add the feet, set it down on the pallet cart and roll it into place. It's that darn 3" lift that is the tough part. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

RG
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
hammermill

Re: Lifting a mill off the pallet

Post by hammermill »

use a lever bar and cribbing go up a 1/2 to 1 inch at a time
spro

Post by spro »

Wedges are good. Take some 4x4 s or garden timbers and rip them at an angle. In this case not real pointy at the end. It depends on the pallet of course as to how many you need but they are only about 18" long. As you whack them with a sledge you can put the weight on them, level, and cut out the support parts of the pallet. Even if you do it a different way these are useful. Wedges can be mated, to be jacks.
spro

Post by spro »

Okay I actually looked at your mill (congrats) and now there is more to say. Even with the knee/table down it's top heavy. As we know, there's a tipping point which starts out as very little tension to restrain it. Somewhere above, there should be a point to secure a rope/comealong at the head, so it cannot angle over too far in either direction. Not saying it needs to support the weight but a 3rd hand to prevent that nasty point.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks guys, I'll take your advice into consideration. I'll report back when it's done!
pete

Post by pete »

Rsg,
If it were me? I'd pull it apart down to it's basic sub assemblies. You really should do that anyway to remove all the dragon fat grease preservative. Plus there's usually just enough grinding dust, chips, and contamination so it's well worth doing. I wouldn't hesitate to do this on any mill. Once it's stripped down, you should be able to walk the bare main casting off the pallet. I wouldn't remove the feed screw Acme nut's since they should be well aligned at the factory, Just blast them clean in place with something like CRC contact cleaner. You'll find that brand new mill works far smoother and will most definitely last longer between adjustments, and you can properly adjust and lube everything with a good way lube as you reassemble it. To be honest, I personally think doing this isn't an option on any mill.

Pete
rudd

Post by rudd »

A crazy suggestion - if you have an apron out in front of your shop, get it off the pallet out front, and roll it in on steel rounds with a pinch bar.

If you stick threaded rod though the "feet" holes with a nut below the base, and two locked together above, you can now lift/lower the thing with wrenches.

This is how my vertical moves around the shop when needed, at 2200 pounds, I'll bet it's heavier and just as unbalanced.

I don't see through holes in the base, possibly they are inside. If not, suggestion 1 above might still work.

I worked for a state park service for a few years, that's where I got my PhD in Egyptian Engineering.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I did get it off the pallet with a wood overhead truss system and chain fall.

Rudd, it doesn't show in the pics but there are four holes (one in each corner) threaded M10 so I was able to thread my steel feet into them with ease. I lifted the mill, pulled out the pallet and set it right on my pallet truck, rolled it into position and set it down.

Pete, good call on stripping it down. I plan to remove as much as I can with hurting the integrity of the fitted components. I saw a Youtube video were a guy did just as you mentioned to get his mill into the basement.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

RSG wrote:I saw a Youtube video were a guy did just as you mentioned to get his mill into the basement.
That's how I got my Millrite into my basement. Took the motor off first, then the head, followed by the ram. Then I lifted the table off of the knee, in one piece, followed by the knee.

Carrying the small pieces was pretty simple, then a friend of mine helped be ease the main casting down the steps with a set of come-alongs anchored to an eyebolt fastened through the floor of the stair landing.

It was a job, but it's back together now and I'm learning how to make chips.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"