Milling machine parts help

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mac metal

Milling machine parts help

Post by Mac metal »

I recently bought a Vbrp beaver milling machine at auction, been wanting one for awhile, and this was cheap enough to jump on.. Seems like a bit too much machine for a beginner though.
Aside from that, someone bought all the spindles and collets w/o me knowing.
Do I need to buy all this tooling immediately to get started or are there a few basic pieces I can get, to start getting the feel of it? Still contemplating trying to sell it and pick up a smaller complete one, before waiting too much time and money on this, but wanted to check with the experts first.
Thx
Mac
neanderman

Re: Milling machine parts help

Post by neanderman »

I'm a newbie myself, and no 'expert', but that's a nice machine. Unless it left you totally strapped for cash, I wouldn't sell it. If you have a real interest in milling, you'll eventually grow into this machine.

And unless there is something major missing, I'm sure you can get started with just a few 'essentials', though I'll let the 'experts' chime in as to what those might be. :)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I assume it takes R8 tooling? Since you didn't say. A set of R8 collets and a vise and jacob's drill chuck would get you started. You would need to buy them if you bought a new mill and since they are popular most likely your next mill will take the same tooling. I would buy the tooling.

Richard W.

Edit: You will need a clamp set also.
Mac metal

Post by Mac metal »

Thanks for the info. It takes a 40 taper spindle. Do I need to buy a spindle right away or do the set of collets get me by for the time being? Luckily the vises are a dime a dozen, and I have a full clamp set from a previous buy. I will look into the drill chuck.
Thanks again, great to actually be getting somewhere....answer wise.
-MAC
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Mac metal wrote:Thanks for the info. It takes a 40 taper spindle. Do I need to buy a spindle right away or do the set of collets get me by for the time being? Luckily the vises are a dime a dozen, and I have a full clamp set from a previous buy. I will look into the drill chuck.
Thanks again, great to actually be getting somewhere....answer wise.
-MAC
A # 40 taper isn't the same animal as an R8. You have to get a collet holder with a #40 taper. Actually with a #40 taper you have taken a step up from the R8 mill and it's a step I would like to take. You have a larger motor about 5 HP usually instead of the 3 HP or less with R8 spindles. Plus a larger machine to match it.

There are two popular collet sets for this mill taper and CDCo Tools sells both at a good price.

http://www.cdcotools.com/

One set is part number 22320 which goes from 1/8" to 3/4". This is the standard short length and one will get you by, but I am sure you will want more than two after awhile. Since you will want to keep the most often used tools in a holder all the time. In time you will want the individual one size weldon style holders, but this will get you by. One of the bench holders for changing tools is nice to have, some like me would say a must have. I don't have a link handy.

This set is part number 23320 and goes from 1/32 to 3/8" by 1/32 increments. A good set if you use a lot of small tools. Might be one to get later since the other set will do most of what you will want to do.

If you click on "All kinds of Die maker tooling" on the CDCO website, then click on "Drill chucks & shanks, tapping heads and collets". Then you can see several keyless drill chucks. Find the one you want and see what taper is in the back of the chuck. 1/32 to 1/2" chuck is the most used. Then go lower on the page and get a # 40 taper that has the matching taper for the drill chuck. While I have bought a few things from them I have never bought a drill chuck, so I can't say anything about the quality of them. But you do know what you need to get if you go elsewhere.

You will also want a good face mill. You buy the cutter and then get the shank for it seperately. I like these, but you can pull a better cutter with a #40 taper. These use the less expensive TPG/TPY 32X inserts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-2-1-2-90- ... 4604354c06

Now with a standard 1/2" drill index and some taps and end mills you are set to go. I actually got one of those end mill set with 20 different size end mills. They are imported, but will get you started if you pay attention to your speeds and feeds. You will eventually want a rotary table a 5C collet vise and a spindex and maybe an index head down the road. But this will get you going.

As a PS they have some of what you want matched together under "CNC tooling" along with boring heads.

Richard W.
Mac metal

Post by Mac metal »

Wow, thank you. I will get to work on this.
Much appreciated.
Patio

Post by Patio »

It would help if you added your location to your profile.

This may interest you depending on where you live.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/3173968344.html
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

These are nice mills I have one myself and very happy with it. As far as your comment to sell and buy a smaller one i would suggest keeping it you can do smaller work on a bigger mill but you cant do bigger work on a small mill. A larger mill works the same as a smaller one, if you have the space for it keep it. As far as the tooling I watch ebay and other places for end mill holders and other tooling and pick up as i find a good deal or as needed for projects. I prefer end mill holders over collets just my preference.

Does yours have the variable speed head? How about posting some pictures.