Big Dog mills

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DM95

Big Dog mills

Post by DM95 »

Anybody had any experience with the mini mill from Big Dog Metal Works.I was searching the internet the other night and just happen to run across this company in Oregon and was looking at their mills and their mini mill looks good and has a large table.
rawMACH

Re: Big Dog mills

Post by rawMACH »

I was looking at the little machine shop 3960 Mini Mill, but I am interested to find out more about the Big Dog Metal Master Mill.
Thanks for posting
DM95

Post by DM95 »

I too have been looking at the Little Machine Shop mills and really like them but I saw these mills from Big Dog and they look okay the only thing I dont like is that they have geared motors and I prefer the belt drive.If Shipping isnt too bad those mills would be a good deal from Big Dog but I really couldnt find any info on their site.
rawMACH

Post by rawMACH »

I just finished looking at the manual, and yes it is a geared motor, I think I am back to the little machine shop 3960 Mini Mill
DM95

Post by DM95 »

thats the big hold back with me is the geared motor I just dont wanna get into that because i hear too many bad things.any smaller mills I really prefer they be belt driven.I still wouldnt mind knowing a little more about these mills though.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

They are basically the same machine, LMS in my opinion is the better deal with its solid column and belt drive. I also noticed LMS has a newer version of the X1 micro mill that looks promising.

They all come from China and doubt if any of the retailers do any special to the machines except for LMS who I believe does the belt drive conversions inhouse.

But in my opinion it is hard to beat Grizzly's deal on the 704, a couple hundred dollars more and you have nice sized mill that can cover all you milling needs.

Basically ya just need to go ahead and clik the check out button on the shopping cart page and then take some pics when your new toy arrives !!!!!