power feed problems mill drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

keith524

power feed problems mill drill

Post by keith524 »

hey guys I recently purchased a power feed for my mill/drill. its the one cheap from enco that's made in china. When I put the unit into neutral and switch directions, even from dead stop, the plastic gear makes a popping noise as it goes into gear and starts to move. its been doing that from day one. I haven't had any problems yet but don't want any either. what would be causing that? is it suppose to make that noise?
SteveHGraham

Re: power feed problems mill drill

Post by SteveHGraham »

My power feed is from Taiwan. No weird noises.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Sounds like its skipping a teeth. I would pull it back off and see if maybe you need to shim or whatever ya have to do to make sure you have a good joining of the gears.
keith524

Post by keith524 »

ok heres whats happeing. looks like when I switch gears, from neutral into gear, the gear itself moves into position from neutral. in other words, the gear pops into place. I just tried actually forcing it into gear, or being a little more persusive and it did not pop. Im thinking maby I haven't been getting it all the way into gear.
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

I have a RF31 mill/drill with the Shars power feed. If yours mounts like mine... (power feed), then here is my experience. First, the main mount for my unit to the table broke in short order. As you can see in the pictures, I made a replacement out of aluminum with some added screws to hold position. Even with that, the main bracket likes to move over time and use until the gear train makes a major racket. Periodically, I'll have to loosen the two bolts holding position to re-space the gears correctly. Then it will be quiet as a whistle (in comparison) for awhile. It is just a fact of life for this kind of mounting. I'm sure I could also remake the grey-ish bracket shown, but it doesn't happen enough for me to really care too much. It is also a relatively simple, fast fix to correct the gear spacing. All that said, though, yeah, from your description it sounds like you weren't being forceful enough to immediately engage the clutch for either direction of travel.
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

Inside has a dog type clutch that sometimes need the motor to turn a little before it drops in, I would say it's that which is perfectly normal.

Dave
keith524

Post by keith524 »

yeah thanks guys, I observed it alittle more lastnight and came to the conclusion you said dave. I appreciate it guys, thanks for the help!
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

Hi Keith,
Good to hear you have it worked out.

Just to show how it works and for future members I dug through my photos from a few years back that I took for a member elsewhere.

The top (or bottom if attached to the mill) slides right off after undoing the 4 screws at the bottom. No nasty surprises and the front label stays put.

This is one half of the dog clutch that sits in the top of the housing

It's retained by a curclip

This is the main shaft, the gear goes on the left end and the other half of the dog clutch is on the right

When you engage the feed the arm moves up which and if the dog clutch is not lined up the spring compresses more than usual, so once the motor turns the shaft it will click in the dog clutch.
If you look at the motor gear at the bottom it has a length of spiral gear on it to account for this up and down movement.

The motor with new and old bearings

circuit board

click here

I hope that clears it up and helps out people down the track with taking it apart.

Dave
keith524

Post by keith524 »

yes the pics are of great help. Thank you very much for taking the time to post them!
Davo J

Post by Davo J »

keith524 wrote:yes the pics are of great help. Thank you very much for taking the time to post them!
No problem Keith, they have been on my computer for a long time and it's about time I posted them.

I have so many other things I could post about, but I could be there fro a few months with doing the right ups to them, LOL
One day I will get around to it.

Dave
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Great pics Dave, I made a powerfeed for my mill and I see the circuit board is similar to the one I bought, but your mechanics for the feed are quite different. But then again I used a screwgun motor and just a coupling for mine.