RF45 Clones: G0755 or PM45M

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

benshell

RF45 Clones: G0755 or PM45M

Post by benshell »

I've been looking for a milling machines for quite awhile, and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I've decided on an RF45 clone, but I'm having the hardest time deciding between Grizzly and Precision Matthews. I'll be using it for 7-1/2" gauge live steam parts. Probably nothing too big, and no need for CNC. Although someday I'd like to add 3-axis DRO.

Grizzly G0755:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-D ... Feed/G0755
+2 HP
+Power feed on the X-axis
+Motorized headstock elevation
-Only 1 year warranty
-No coolant system
-No quill DRO

Precision Matthews PM45M:
http://precisionmatthews.com/PM45Mbenchmill.html
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM45MMill.html
+Quill DRO
+3 year warranty
+Includes coolant system
-1.5 HP
-No power feed
-No motorized headstock elevation

Or, for $250 more, the PM45M-PDF with power down feed... how useful would that be? It seems like for boring cylinders that could be nice, but it seems like an X-axis power feed would be more useful.

Any other differences I should be aware of? Any thoughts or advise? Thanks!
Ben Shell
Harold_V

Re: RF45 Clones: G0755 or PM45M

Post by Harold_V »

My opinion only. YMMV.

I would NOT own a machine that didn't have power feed on the quill. It's almost impossible to achieve a respectable bore without one. From my perspective, it isn't a luxury--it's mandatory, just as is a motor for the spindle.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

As I have noted before, I bought my mill from Quality Machine Tools, and I was never able to get a replacement for a motor housing part that arrived damaged. Then I tried to buy a lathe, and I couldn't get a quote, so I went elsewhere. I still have no idea what's going on.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
benshell

Post by benshell »

Thanks for the advice! I think I will take your advice Harold and look for a power downfeed. I also noticed another Precision Matthews mill I hadn't seen before, the PM-932M:
http://machinetoolonline.com/PM-932M.html
This has most of the advantages of the Grizzly and the PM45M, but this mill, with power downfeed, costs about $2700 shipped. And of course it's from "Quality Machine Tools", although Steve you're the first I've heard to warn against them. They appear to be related to Precision Matthews themselves since they have the same phone number, and I've heard a lot of good things about Precision Matthews.

In any case, now that I'm looking in a higher price range, I'm thinking I should probably resume looking for a used Bridgeport. The cost would probably be similar, maybe even less. They are just hard to find locally, and difficult to transport! So I was thinking a new, smaller mill might be more practical.

Decisions, decisions... I've been looking so long though that I really do want to just get *something* within the next couple months.
Ben Shell
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

"Precision Matthews" gets its name from Matt, the guy who IS Quality Machine Tools.

Nice guy, but I never got that part or the lathe quote.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
rawMACH

Post by rawMACH »

I think the PM-932M has geared drive, and also the head tilts, I have not used a mill yet, but I have been reading the forums and came to the conclusion to buy The LittleMachineShop HiTorque solid column Mini Mill
http://littlemachineshop.com/3960

I contacted Big Dog metal works if they will consider offering their Big Dog Metal Master Mill with belt drive and solid column, but I think the factory is not interested, it is a good size Mill for the price

http://www.bigdogmetalworks.com/product ... ategory=16
pete

Post by pete »

I've certainly got to agree with Harold about that power quill feed. But just to make things clear, those power feeds are only designed for single point boring and not drilling.

When I was researching mills while I was looking for maybe my largest and last mill purchase, I knew I'd never be satisfied with a non power downfeed model. I'm severely limited for weight and overall size in my shop so I started looking at the RF-45 style mills, but I really wanted the Bridgeport type. I'm not real sure just how current my older information is. But at that time Rong Fu built a RF-45 mill with a built in 3 speed power downfeed and MSC industrial were at least one dealer for it. The bad news is it was a bit higher in price than what your thinking of. I ended up buying a 3/4 sized Bridgeport clone with the spindle feed, but have always wondered how that RF type mill would have worked out. They do require a bit more effort to get both the column and spindle in line so they agree with each other and are trammed square to the table. Once that's done it should be fine. I still want a like new Deckel though. :mrgreen:

Pete
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pete wrote: I still want a like new Deckel though. :mrgreen:
Chuckle!
People in hell want ice water, too, Pete, but they do with what they have at their disposal! :lol:

Those Deckels are nice machines, eh?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

Hi Harold,
LOL, yeah they certainly are. But I wasn't quite specific enough. I'd like a brand new condition Deckel with a universal table. I'm afraid I've been completely brainwashed after watching just a couple of videos that showed them in operation. Sadly my wallet doesn't match my machine tool tastes.

Pete
pmoose

Post by pmoose »

I own a PM45 and I think its a great machine. Mine is power down feed and it is so handy when using a boring head in the machine. I had to add a quill and z-axis DRO to make the machine really usable. Its a good size machine with plenty of travel in all three axis' and it has enough mass to be quite rigid in steel. IMHO, if you are looking at benchtop mills, I think a knee mill is still one step higher that a dovetail-column mill because the z-axis accuracy is increased. My experience with adjusting depth by bringing the head down instead of the table up is that the head on the PM45, even with the z-axis gib screws tightened, will still vibrate and deflect about a thou or two under heavy cuts. Don't get me wrong, the machine has enough weight and rigidity to do most home/hobby projects, just be aware that it wont perform as good as a knee mill. Thats my 0.02 lol :wink:
Les_S

Post by Les_S »

I own a PM45 and agree with everything pmoose said. I too put a quill DRO on mine. The "calibrated" fine Z feed knob is pretty worthless if you are looking for any kind of accuracy. The powered Z feed is great for boring! I also put an X axis table feed on mine and surface finishes improved a bunch.
Regards,
Les
qualitymachinetools

Post by qualitymachinetools »

SteveHGraham wrote:As I have noted before, I bought my mill from Quality Machine Tools, and I was never able to get a replacement for a motor housing part that arrived damaged. Then I tried to buy a lathe, and I couldn't get a quote, so I went elsewhere. I still have no idea what's going on.
Someone just alerted me to this old post, I know its from a while ago, but can you let me know which part you needed? Its a few years later, but do you still need something? I searched through emails from the last 5 years, and all of our customer names that are all stored from the last 17 years, and there nothing there under anything close to the name in your profile?? If you need anything just let me know, I will take care of it, for sure!