Small knee mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DM95

Re: Small knee mill

Post by DM95 »

Just so I have an idea what do these mills usually go for used.I know a lot has to do with price but I hear a lot of people say they find them for like 750 to 1000 used so is this about right or should I expect to pay more than that for a used one .Is there any brand of these that stands out as being really good.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I may be stating this wrong, but what I try to do is keep all my traversing, as in multiple holes going in the same direction L-R or R-L, so I don't introduce backlash . One way street.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote:I may be stating this wrong, but what I try to do is keep all my traversing, as in multiple holes going in the same direction L-R or R-L, so I don't introduce backlash . One way street.
That's what I tried to say in my earlier comments. The problem comes from revisiting locations, where you may have already gone past a hole, but must back up. So long as you go beyond the target location and reverse direction, so you're traveling in the same direction as you were when you set your reference point (for me it's almost always the left side of a part), you ARE addressing backlash. If you do that routinely, it becomes just that ---- a routine. You won't get tripped up. Try using both handles on the table, though, and it's just a matter of time until you grab the wrong one.

Unless there's a very good reason to do otherwise, I use the upper left hand corner of a part as my reference. That way both of the dials I use read in the positive direction. That makes the math easy. If I must, I'll even redraw the part (a quick sketch) if the provided dimensions come from a different datum point. If your habit is to work to dimensions (as mine are) and not abuse tolerance, it makes no difference. That's one of the benefits of learning to do it right. Any side of a part can be used as a reference when necessary, without fear of making scrap.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

DM95. Probably the more classic knee types like Clausing, Hardinge and Rockwell are going to cost more. Some are horizontal and fitted with vertical heads. The import types which have a round Ram can tilt the head. Some have a "turret", so the head and ram can pivot. The names Jet and Select were the ones that were supposed to be better than the rest. That goes back a ways.
DM95

Post by DM95 »

Clausing had one mill I know was kinda small I think it was called 8520 or something like that or that was the model number but it seemes alright but I still would like to find a good mini kneee mill on a stand.I know some weigh in from 700 to around 1000 pounds so thats not too bad.I like the Grizzly G3102 but there is no way Id buy one new.It just amazes me at how few of these are on the market used because I always check ebay and craigslist and I have not seen but like one.I do see several old clausings that are smaller miils but I dont think they are on a stand they are just smaller.How long have they made small knee mills on stands I think the earliest I have seen so far is a 1965 or so.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There's an advantage to the small mills built without stands. If you have a long day of machining in front of you, you can often operate the machine while sitting.

Gorton made several small mills, although limited to ½" capacity collets and smaller. They were easy to operate from a sitting position, but I have seen them mounted on a riser, too. Models to look for---8D, 0-16A and the Unimil. (Gorton is, arguably, the best of the small mills that were built).

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
DM95

Post by DM95 »

I will add Gorton to my list of brands to look for.Really Im not looking for one brand or model in particular I just want a nice small knee mill I can get moved or move and be able to make some stuff out of mostly aluminum.Anybody out there ever owned the wholesale tool or HF version of the small knee mill.they are both under 2000 and from time to time you can get the HF for around 1500 with a coupon and when its on sale.I think Id be better off with an older model though.
OldSkull

Post by OldSkull »

Used one:

First choice : Powermatic/Millrite (All of them)
Second Choice: Rockwell 21-100 (On cabinet unit)
Third choice: Clausing 8530(On cabinet unit)

Here mine I bough 2 weeks ago before restoration.. (7"X27" table)
Space need about 50"D X 60"W X 6' high)
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachme ... 1372311974

New one..... :roll:
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Link requires log in.

Steve
DM95

Post by DM95 »

I couldnt get the link because it said I had to log in and I was already logged in.
OldSkull

Post by OldSkull »

Sorry... I fix that, take a good look :wink:
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Nice looking Millrite! Doesn't look as if it needs much "restoration."
Paint is in better shape than mine is.