Small knee mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DM95

Re: Small knee mill

Post by DM95 »

That Millrite is a really nice looking machine.I like the looks of them.About how much does one of those MillRite machines weigh in at.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
DM95 wrote:That Millrite is a really nice looking machine.I like the looks of them.About how much does one of those MillRite machines weigh in at.
The standard Millrite has a "shipping" weight of 1600 lbs.
This would include the crate and tooling. It is estimated
the standard Millrite (7 x 27" table & 8" knee) is around
1200 to 1400 lbs. Larger tables and knee and riser block
will add to this weight estimate.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

wlw-19958 wrote:The standard Millrite has a "shipping" weight of 1600 lbs.
This would include the crate and tooling. It is estimated
the standard Millrite (7 x 27" table & 8" knee) is around
1200 to 1400 lbs. ....
Remember, that you can pull that thing apart into major components to move it, so don't let the the total weight scare you.

If you look at that mill, it probably takes up less space than a benchtop mill/drill because it doesn't need a bench.

Steve
OldSkull

Post by OldSkull »

wlw-19958 wrote:Hi There,

Nice looking Millrite! Doesn't look as if it needs much "restoration."
Paint is in better shape than mine is.

Thanks you , it's my first milling and you post help me made my choice! Your milling look great and I really like your small panel DRO. If the price is not insane I want one.

I purchases too many tools for my 600sq feet's garage/shop so only a small "toy" can fit. I normally just trade or restore stuff, but It's never to late to have fun with it.

This Millrite was my ticket I got a nice space for her, right beside my Logan 12" lathe. I already order a gib saddle, a 220V 3 phases motor and few other thing needing attention. I just try to get her in perfect running order for the moment and learning in the process.

This is a solid machine and I wish I found a 36" table and the column spacer for it in a near future...

Cheers
DM95

Post by DM95 »

What does a machine like the MillRite pictured above usually sale for. It doesent appear to take up much space at all.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I didn't know I had so much influence but the Millrite is
a nice home shop mill.

The DRO on mine is a Shumatech 350. These were
do-it-your-self DROs (like Heathkit). Here is a link:

ShumaTech

They don't offer the 350 any more but there are other "kits"
you can get. The old 350s were a real kit (where you soldered
the components to the board). The current "kits" come with all
surface components already soldered in place.

The current equivalent is the 375 but the 550 is the better DRO.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

wlw-19958 wrote:I didn't know I had so much influence but the Millrite is a nice home shop mill.
Some prefer them over a Bridgeport.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
DM95

Post by DM95 »

Didn't at some point Bridgeport make a small knee mill that went on a stand. Im thinking I have seen one.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

DM95 wrote:Didn't at some point Bridgeport make a small knee mill that went on a stand. Im thinking I have seen one.
It's possible that what you saw was a non-Bridgeport small vertical knee mill or converted horizontal with a Bridgeport head on it.

Steve
OldSkull

Post by OldSkull »

wlw-19958 wrote:Hi There,

I didn't know I had so much influence but the Millrite is
a nice home shop mill.

The DRO on mine is a Shumatech 350. These were
do-it-your-self DROs (like Heathkit). Here is a link:

ShumaTech
Holy moly! I learn electronics in the 70's, I still own two Heathkit 5Mhz Oscilloscope and a color bar/dot generator I build. I just keep them for display and show young one what is a simple and "Solid state" Fabrication...

This DRO look like a fun project I take a closer look ASAP and if the price is fair my lathe may get one too, thank you for sharing!
DM95 wrote:What does a machine like the MillRite pictured above usually sale for. It doesent appear to take up much space at all.
Well their is no precise answer to this, it depend where you live and how much people are willing to pay for one, mine cost me $1500 plus the "Crapnadian" taxes! I seen some sold in auction for just $700 on your side of the fence and a dealer in Ohio asking $2995 for one! Option have to be consider too, the list is long....One guy even fit a Bridgeport head on a Millrite base! The base weight 600pds of good US cast iron! :)

Start hunting for one and if you find one with a table in good condition but to large for your needs (AKA 32" or 36"), I exchange my 27" with you and pay the shipping for both!

Good luck
DM95

Post by DM95 »

I have noticed that these mills do vary greatly in price. I do need to find something that is the size of that Millrite or smaller as in a mill on a stand but that Millrite is neat. I will keep those in mind. I've seen a few mills within 250 miles of me, but all were more than I wanted to give, and some were in horrible condition. No good ones for $1000.00 and under yet.
pmoose

Post by pmoose »

you might want to call matt at machinetoolonline.com. According to their website, they are going to start selling small bridgeport-type freestanding mills that have a smaller 35" table. The website states that they are made in taiwan and are of good quality but ill let matt sell that point to you. their prices for new machines are very reasonable for their country of origin.