Small knee mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

plumberzpieco

Re: Small knee mill

Post by plumberzpieco »

I happen to have a Millrite for sale on craigslist Cleveland Oh. I'm having problems with posting pictures or I'd put them here. My phone # is in the add along with the description. I'm asking $1750 which sounds to be out of your range though. I've seen a few sell for a bit less but the table and knee's are usually quite worn.

Good luck in your search, Chris
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

Probably this one:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/3895768667.html

I highlighted the URL, copied it from FireFox, clicked over here and pasted it. :)
May be better off in the For Sale area.
DM95

Post by DM95 »

I haven't logged onto this forum in a week or so so Im just now seeing these new post.I like the small knee mills and really that's about all I could find space for but I haven't seen anything in a good price range yet that's close to me. A while back I did run across one that was local but it was in horrible condition and I don't think it worked at all so I decided to pass on it.I would love to own a Bridgeport but space is somewhat limited right now and I haven't seen one under 2000 dollars lately but my main concern is finding a milling machine close to me I can go look at but I will not give up looking and maybe one day I will run across something.
plumberzpieco

Post by plumberzpieco »

Thanks oldvan
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

wlw-19958 wrote:I didn't know I had so much influence but the Millrite is
a nice home shop mill.
Doesn't surprise me.:) Webb was most generous with his time helping newbies on another list we were on. I benefited on several occasions from his advice. The only knock that I saw with the Millrite is the speed range. I don't remember the numbers but as I recall, the slowest speed was none too slow. The Clausing, also nice but less stout than the Millrite uses 2MT tooling which has it's limitations. I could say I gave them all a thorough look before making my choice but that wouldn't be totally accurate.:) I've had good luck (& made my living for a time) with Rockwell so it was the obvious choice for me. I really like it, so much so that I bought the horizontal mill as well.

David
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Thanks for the kind words! Rockwell vertical mills are very nice.
Extremely robust and versatile. They are not as heavy as the
Millrite (which can be an advantage for the basement shop).
I used one when I was making the parts I needed to get my Millrite
up and running. I own one of their horizontal mills too but it doesn't
get used that much.

In my case, my Millrite has the optional geared-down 280 RPM,
1/2 horsepower motor. This gives me a low 65 RPM spindle
speed and a top speed of 2100 (IIRC). This is great for swinging
large cutters.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

wlw-19958 wrote:In my case, my Millrite has the optional geared-down 280 RPM,
1/2 horsepower motor. This gives me a low 65 RPM spindle
speed and a top speed of 2100 (IIRC).
Very nice! That sure addresses the speed range issue. My Rockwell has the optional 1140 rpm motor with a speed range of 245-4200 rpm. Still not really slow enough for large hole drilling. I added a Servo 400 power feed & a Newall C80 dro. This is my first attempt at posting a pic & I hope it works & is not oversize.
David