Set cleanup/setup

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AR15DCM

Set cleanup/setup

Post by AR15DCM »

Hello,

Well I am into month 3 waiting on my chip/oil tray. Once It gets here I will be able to set up my mill. In the mean time I want to know your thoughts on cleaning up the shipping grease.

Do you literally need to take the table off to clean the ways? Is it possible to just saturate the ways with a degreaser and work it back and forth then once cleaned out, just oiling well the way oil?

If I need to take the table off is it difficult to do?

Thanks,
Dean Miller
Owner RifleCompetition.com
Certified L.E. Armorer M4/M16/AR15
ctwo

Re: Set cleanup/setup

Post by ctwo »

I don't remember which machine. A friend of mine shot his ak for years without taking it apart to clean the cosmo out, just spray and lube...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Patio

Post by Patio »

This may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

I personally, have very little experience with cosmoline.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
AR15DCM

Post by AR15DCM »

Dean Miller
Owner RifleCompetition.com
Certified L.E. Armorer M4/M16/AR15
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have uncrated and cleaned several new machines and never tore one apart to clean it. Usually the cosmoline is applied to the uncovered areas of the machine. The assembly oil protects the area where the to parts meet and the capillary action of the oil keeps it there. I did find it applied under the tail stock on one lathe with paper, but not on others lathes. When I cleaned my new Jet mill it was just cleaning the exposed surfaces. I used kerosene to clean with, since it dissolved the cosmoline and is a light oil so it could set over night if need be. I would see a few traces of cosmoline for a day or 2 and then the way oil had pretty much flushed what little cosmoline was left in the contact areas.

Richard W.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

My First manual Mill, an induma from 1974, still has cosmoline on areas!! the importand working areas got cleaned up for use, others have slowly been cleaned, but some areas still have it on it! thousands of hours of use later. table still looks like new! figure it will keep the hidden areas protected.
Grant
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Go to an auto parts store that sells painting supplies and grab some "Grease and Wax" remover. It cleans up the cosmoline beautifully. All of the major manufacturers make it and it might be named differently. It is also what I use on any part that I'm about to paint to make sure that all of the oils are removed.