What spindle tool here?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Re: What spindle tool here?

Post by Lazz »

I have an Kennametal R8QC30281 CK9 r8 master collet that looks a lot like what I see in the picture. It too is 1.865 for the large opening. An Erickson QC30 fits in mine. As I look at mine it would appear you are missing the collar just inside the outer ring that retains the tool holders. Did that make sense ?

If a picture helps gimme a yell.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Hi Lazz, I think I have all the parts after all. The retaining ring is there, but well beat up. At the bottom center of the picture I posted, where the camera flash reflected off the metal is the retaining "lip" and that is all that holds the tool holder into the spindle, one on each side. I do not like the design much, but it obviously works. I would like to replace that retaining ring or find a new nut assembly.

I'm also looking at tooling options, possibly considering an NMTB30 to ER40 collet system. I do have a DA180 and a DA200 collet holder, but I was just reading these are not advised for milling. I would need to buy collets anyway.

End mill holders that are compatible with the QC30 system are available, but are a bit pricey when you get done. Here is where I was looking:
http://www.toolmex.com/Products/BrowseR ... 20&Parent=

I'm still worrying about the retaining ring though as the lips there are quite beat up. The worst case is I could machine a collar to fit inside to replace that retaining ring, and use the existing nut to cinch down on typical NMTB tool holders.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

As of June 2013 I had 1 rusty NMTB holder with a jacobs chuck. Today I have pretty much everything I used to have in R8. 30 some tool holders. Including boring heads, drill chucks, DA180 collet chucks.

I paid just about $22.50 for about 1/2 of them including shipping. From ebay and a couple forums. The rest I found locally for around $5 each. Only 2 were brand new and the rest used.

I used my R8 boring heads and shell mills and found NMTB 30 arbors to fit them. So that helped keep the price down a lot. If you are patient you can find them reasonable. They made a bunch of them since the late 50's. You can use the Cat30 stuff as well.... just pull the retaining knob.

Almost any Taper 30, NMTB 30, or Cat 30 will fit that arbor with a little work.
Congrats sir, I tried to find that spindle for my mill......
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, it sounds good.

I have the same question here, where can I buy another lock ring? Will Kennemetal sell direct?

Part number: 2-63-027-030. And I wonder how the entire assembly would cost?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridgepor ... r_one.html
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Here is another good post on why I'm concerned about this spindle.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridgepor ... tting.html
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I'm wondering what to do with this system and looking for alternative ideas.

I've not been able to find a replacement lock ring. I've contacted Kennametal and they said to contact MSC about it. They have given the following part $820 :shock:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/082635 ... m=08263592

I looked for what I thought was the right part and it's better, but still it is basically a big fancy nut! $215 :?

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/650006 ... m=65000648

I do not know what's the difference of those items, but I assume that the first is an entire spindle assembly and the second is the nut.

That might be right, I lost an ebay item for a new nut assembly as I was outbid for the cost of what I think is the same thing above, new, and read reports of those items going for $250.

Are there any other tool holding systems that allow one to spare an arm, or leg even, that has a chance of being available for the next decade or so, that works withOUT a drawbar? (this is for a series 1 Bridgeport CNC).
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Here is the picture....

http://imgur.com/mhSCnUn
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Now I am really happy with this ebay find, $50! with a wrench too!!! :D

The stated part number (1-57-0801;2-64 000 030) is a little different, but I'm not sure it matters. Looks clean...
Attachments
erickson30-ebay.JPG
spro

Post by spro »

Ctwo. Sorry for being a bonehead back then but it does happen. You probably know, but the way these collets fit, they have to tilt first to engage under the ring. Then they are tilted around so the ring fits the lip. This is old news but on occasion, people just tighten the collar and mess stuff up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Nah, there is just so much variety in tooling over the years, nobody could possibly know it all. I'm still learning about the stuff I own!