E W Heald Horizontal mill Rescue

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

reggie_obe

Re: E W Heald Horizontal mill Rescue

Post by reggie_obe »

John Evans wrote:Well a month or so ago I came across this old mill ,after a bit of dickering on 4-7 it followed me home. A 5 mile trip that was aTRIP! :roll: This puppy is heavy ,right at 2000 lbs. 6.5 X 30 table so ain't too big otherwise. Decided I would abuse a U-hall low deck trailer rather that the bed of my 94 Ranger. Got it loaded and set out for home using collector streets rather than the main drags. Going good till a mile from home ! :x My friend heard a noise and my PS no longer was PSing ,steam was rising ! Nuts blew a hose ! Nope !! the idler pulley bearing seized and some how got the mounting bolt to un-screw[pulley rotates CCW] flew off -hit the upper radiator hose and broke the plastic neck. out of the radiator. :roll: It could only happen to me!!!
Anyway got the mill home and started cleaning the dirt-oil-surface rust combo off it . I am a form follows function kinda guy ,pretty does not make it work and better ,but one color is better than several. A quick coat of machinery grey and done. The mill uses a drive system very close to a belt-back gear lathe. 2 steps on motor toa 4 step countershaft and a a back gear. 40 odd to 1400+ rpm. Power X feed with lathe like tumbler to change direction, with 8 feeds available. Also has automatic feed trip. Very little info on this machine made in Springfield MO.
Did you check this out? http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... 5086&tab=0
rudd

Re: E W Heald Horizontal mill Rescue

Post by rudd »

Reggie, I wasn't going to say anything about those piles of cutters for cheap.... :) I've bought plenty.
I also buy new sometimes. Treat the cutters right and they last a long time.
The other thing that struck me was: I just had an oddball repair job come in. I need to make a curved concave cut along an 8" long piece of 1/2" bar, about 5/16" radius. I found decent ball end end mills for about 150-175, a decent size concave cutter was about 225. And it has a bunch more edges on it. So, really, not that much more expensive.
(being the low cost king on this thing, I'm going to make the cut with a 1/2" EM with the head tilted over about 60 deg off vertical - no, it isn't a perfect arc, is is a section of an ellipse, but it is plenty close enough for this job.)