Making a new spindle?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

heapes

Making a new spindle?

Post by heapes »

This maybe a dumb question but I will ask anyhow. Is there any reason I can't turn a spindle for an old mill with a brown and sharpe taper? The goal would be for more readily available tooling of a different taper. I have had the spindle out and it seems like an easy turn on the lathe. The only issue I foresee is the drawbar bore. The original spindle is made of 4140 steel. If it is doable what taper do you guys suggest? Thanks.
Stephen
John Evans

Re: Making a new spindle?

Post by John Evans »

Well if that is for your Heald I would leave it alone as B&S works well. If I remember the litature right it was available with "40" taper and that would the way to go. I certainly would not waste the time and effort for anything like R-8 !!!
Just note you do not need to tighten up the drawbar very tight on B&S to get it to hold.
www.chaski.com
heapes

Re: Making a new spindle?

Post by heapes »

Thanks John and yes I was considering it for the Heald in the vertical spindle. It just seems like a fun fab project. I have located some of the b&s tooling new but ebay can be such a good sorce for the cheap used common taper tooling. It seemed like a worth while project.