I would like to get a Kurt vise

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: I would like to get a Kurt vise

Post by seal killer »

Pete--

You work at the coolest place on the planet.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Apart from being nice and shiny and looking the part, what’s the attraction for model engineering? The probable answer is buy one and you will see, but they seem awfully expensive for a hobby workshop.

I have a J&L vice they market for a BP, plus a smaller oriental, and lately a smaller still Indian one. All work perfectly well grip square and for the stuff I make are cost effective.

I also use them on the Tormach CNC mill and have yet to have anything flying past my ears :)
www.northernsteam.com
spro

Post by spro »

I'm glad you posted this. If tolerances vary from the design, there must be very good ones.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I have a small Knee mill with 6x24 table I purchased used in good condition, I bought the 4" Kurt vise with the swivel base seller had for extra $ and it is very nice. For general everday use its about as big as you can go for that size table. The vise hangs of the back of the table about 1.8" when the mounting holes of the base are centered on the table. By the way one I have only opens 4".

I got a used Enco 6" with out a swivel base for those jobs where the 4" just is not big enough and it is not pratical to fixture the part to the table with hold downs. It has been well worth the $75 I paid for it.

I have a 3" Phase II on a mini mill and its quality is quite good for the money, but I do not know if their quality has remained consistant in recent years. Some day I will make soft jaws for some of these when I get around to it, because they sound so extreamly useful.

You can probably buy 2 or 3 sizes of the pahse II vices or equaliviant brand for the price one Kuirt. Just my $0.02 worth.

Rob
jjtgrinder

Post by jjtgrinder »

Hello Mr Ron (and all),

I bought a Vertex VA-4 4" milling vice much less than the cost of a Kurt. The quality is very good for the money. I took it apart and inspected the individual parts, much better construction than the Chinese vises (ie that Enco sells). All surfaces indicate near perfect. I think they are made in Taiwan. I do not know who sells them now. The ebay seller does not list them currently.

Grinder
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Edit:
My Apologies. This is in reference to Inspectors comment of the Kurts
no longer being used.
Ken. :oops:

Hello Pete, :D

All of the company's I have worked for in my past life of working

had Property Scrap Forms and Property Removal Forms that

could be filled out by the employee and put into the system, for people

of authority to approve and sign off on. It would usually take about one

to two weeks to get the approved paper work back and you were good

to go. You might ask before someone else gets them.

Just a thought. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Grinder--

Welcome to the forum!

--Bill
You are what you write.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

jjtgrinder wrote:Hello Mr Ron (and all),

I bought a Vertex VA-4 4" milling vice much less than the cost of a Kurt. The quality is very good for the money. I took it apart and inspected the individual parts, much better construction than the Chinese vises (ie that Enco sells). All surfaces indicate near perfect. I think they are made in Taiwan. I do not know who sells them now. The ebay seller does not list them currently.

Grinder
Hello :!: Grinder :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)

As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking and/or talking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.

NOTE: CLEAR PICTURE’S

(ARE ALWAYS)

VERY HELPFUL.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Ken thanks for the suggestion, and in the past that would have been possible without the paperwork. Nowadays stuff is tossed in the scrap bin without any thought to recovering any cost beyond the scrap price at the moment and doing anything to build good will among the employees is a concept lost. I've seen tooling fixtures from past projects tossed in the bin without any effort made to remove the clamps etc., only to see them buy more the following month. Or worse not buy any and watch the machinists removing them from a fixture they are not using at that moment, to put on the one they need, because they company won't get any more. I'm sure lots of other forum members have seen similar things in the places they worked and it will continue. I'll wait for another wave of managers to come through in a few years and see if they are any better to deal with. I have one of the 4" Kurt's that was new when given to a retiring manager a few years ago. He sold it to me when he found out he had cancer a year after he retired.

Pete