Reversing jaws on a vise?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Reversing jaws on a vise?

Post by Mr Ron »

Sorry to be a PITA. I have another question about milling machine vises. On vises where the jaws can be removed and moved to the outer ends of the jaws; how is the work held? It seems that there is a very small surface in contact with the work. Also there appears that the socket head screws that secure the jaws are under a lot of stress. Please explain.

BTW, I searched E-bay and CL for a Kurt D40 and there were none. I think a D60 would be too large for my vertical mill. A new D40 runs $549, so I may just have to bite the bullet. You know how wives are; you spend $549 and they are justified to spend likewise.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Richard_W

Re: Reversing jaws on a vise?

Post by Richard_W »

The vises use socket head cap screws which are pretty tough, I am sure they are a grade 8. On my 6" Kurt vise I don't have any problem with putting the vise jaws on the outside of the vise. You are correct that if you use to much clamping force the cap screws will bend some. If you don't over tighten the vise you will find you can take a decent cut with a face mill with no problems. I have done it many times and have cut everything from aluminum to 4140 HT (29 to 32RC). The first time doing something new always leaves one with an uneasy feeling, but after a time or two doing it that way you won't think nothing of it.

Richard W
earlgo

Re: Reversing jaws on a vise?

Post by earlgo »

I always thought that reversing the jaws allowed one to grip the INSIDE of something. I never thought of using the lips that project above the vise jaws to grip the outside of something. Hmmm.

I can go home now as I have learned my thing for today.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.