Think I Wrecked my Drawbar

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Think I Wrecked my Drawbar

Post by SteveHGraham »

I took the 3-jaw chuck off my mill so I could install a 4-jaw. That was what? Three days ago? Still haven't finished making the nuts to hold the 4-jaw on. Today, for the first time in weeks, I need the 3-jaw to cut a hex projection on the aluminum wrench deal.

It always works like this.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here is what I did. It's very nice, and I didn't have to drill into my wrench. Both ends of the hammer part are chamfered. I need a better washer, so I haven't Loctited it yet.
Attachments
07 15 14 drawbar hammer on rotary table.jpg
07 15 14 drawbar hammer assembled on bench.jpg
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I have a piece of brass bar stock slotted to fit over the beam of the hammer next to the 3/4" box end. It protrudes just past the beam, and a smallish (#8?) screw pinches the slot onto the beam. Box end to loosen, rotate 90* on long axis, "whack", done.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Always fun making stuff we don't really need.

One thing I like about this is that the aluminum makes it impossible for idiots to put the closed end of the wrench on the nut.

Not that I know anyone like that.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Eh, I use the box end. It evenly loads the hex all around, reduced rounding of the ears, doesn't slip off when I'm awkwardly hauling back on it way above my head, and easily fits in twice as many orientations (angles) when I want to put it just "there" for convenient leverage. I'm one of the more forgetful people I know, if I don't write down things I need to do, I *will* forget something. But I've not noticed any tendency to leave the wrench on, so I'll stick with the box end.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Maybe everyone knows this but a hang-up hook for the drawbar or chuck wrench with a switch to disable the machine when nothing is hanging on it is simple and effective.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:Eh, I use the box end. It evenly loads the hex all around, reduced rounding of the ears, doesn't slip off when I'm awkwardly hauling back on it way above my head, and easily fits in twice as many orientations (angles) when I want to put it just "there" for convenient leverage. I'm one of the more forgetful people I know, if I don't write down things I need to do, I *will* forget something. But I've not noticed any tendency to leave the wrench on, so I'll stick with the box end.
I also use the box end, and for the same reasons. I'd not like losing its use, as that is how I store the wrench when it is not in use---it sits on the long head of the screw used to nod the head. A perfect and convenient storage place.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I'm with Harold on this as I am sure are many others on this board, and for the same reasons. I left the wrench on the draw bar once and that frightened me so that the wrench now doesn't leave my hand until it is hooked on the nod screw. :wink: :D :D

Jack.
motrhead

Post by motrhead »

I hang my wrench where Harold mentioned on the screw to adjust the head.
The wrench I use has a t-slot cleaner on one end, boxed end on the other with a spot to use as a hammer.
http://www.travers.com/265522-98-001-10 ... erSearch=t slot tool
On the top of my mill I put a cone shaped spring that I found laying around on the drawbar with the small end gripping the drawbar itself that stays there all the time, and when I put my wrench on I just push it past the spring and If I were to let go it ejects the wrench. By the time I were to turn my mill on my wrench would had long since fallen to the floor...
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I am an amateur, and have had to figure out a lot of this stuff for myself, but I hang a 7/8 and a 15/16 wrench on the wall beside the mill, I am in the habit of seeing them in place before I start it. I have also not started the lathe with the key in it. I hope this flagrant boasting does not bring bad luck.