Think I Wrecked my Drawbar

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: Think I Wrecked my Drawbar

Post by redneckalbertan »

ctwo wrote:Yeah, I wonder what happens to a foe's quoted post.
I can't comment on this forum, others that I have been on the quote will show up as long as the person quoting is not in the foe list as well.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

One thing that I wonder is if I mark joe user as my foe can he read my posts? Regardless of that I would hope that the board is set up so if I mark a moderator (or higher level account) as a foe they could still read what I wrote.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That is correct. Quoted text becomes part of the new post with no remaining relationship to the original post (other than perhaps tags indicating who was quoted). This is why quoted text remains unchanged when the original is edited, and why moderators must change each quoted instance separately when the content must be modified.

If this site is not configured different than others I've seen, blocking someone (foe) does not have any effect on what they see, and they generally can't even tell they've been blocked by someone. However, I suspect that this could be changed with site template editing, but I don't see that happening.

As for mods reading, just how deep they can go depends on the site settings and mod privileges (one site I mod on has "moderators" and "super moderators" which are almost like admin), but you can bet they can always all posts. And they can usually access deleted posts as well, as long as it wasn't purged (generally only mods/admins can do this).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ronm

Post by ronm »

SteveHGraham wrote: Hey...where did Harold go?
Don't poke the bear, Dude... :wink:
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Harold? He's just a big puddy cat.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:
Harold_V wrote:I had put this one on the back burner, but tonight I came to realize how one goes about ensuring that posts by someone you may prefer to not read do not show on your monitor.

It's pretty simple.
Hey...where did Harold go?
I was going to respond, but I can't see this post. :P

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Harold v. please contact your doctor, you seem to be talking to your self. or is it the white rabbit in the corner. hic

hi harvey :P
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Suddenly, I find myself on an island and I'm very short.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harold_V wrote:
Harold_V wrote:No one is required to read posts they may find not to their liking, so if Steve's posts are offensive to you, you would be best served to simply avoid reading his contributions. You may even be able to classify him as not being a friend, so his posts won't show on your monitor. I don't know if the owner of the board has activated that feature, if for no other reason, we rarely encounter problems that might require that kind of resolution.
I had put this one on the back burner, but tonight I came to realize how one goes about ensuring that posts by someone you may prefer to not read do not show on your monitor.

It's pretty simple.

When you wish to exclude someone (anyone who is a registered reader of the board) from your computer, go to one of their posts, then click on the profile button (assuming you're using subsilver2 as your board choice, that button is found at the bottom left of their post).

A new page opens.

In the upper left quadrant, the one which defines the reader, and shows his/her avatar, look for the bottom line which says Add friend Add foe

Click the Add foe, and you will no longer see this individual's posts.

Harold
Thank you Harold, I've done so.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
schor

Post by schor »

OlderNewbie wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:Where am I supposed to go to school? Point me to the nearest machining school. I live near Miami. There are no community college courses. There are no high school courses.
That about sums up the situation here, too. Unfortunately.

John
While I have college courses available to me, they are far too expensive for me to justify. I am a hobby machinist. I have found some valuable information on the web from reliable sources. Marc L'Ecuyer is one, check out his videos by searching for THATLAZYMACHINIST on youtube. He's got 2 on shop safety that I have watched a few time to keep my memory fresh.
Steve
Check out http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes on YouTube.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Tubalcain has a video showing his answer to the wrench/hammer problem. Basically, he fastens a chunk of brass to a wrench using a 1/4" hole. Not rocket science, but it shows that other people think about the issue.

I think I'll do this with aluminum, and I'll size a projection on the aluminum to fit snugly in the wrench.

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

There is another guy that just plops the end of the wrench into a can of molten lead, let cool, whack away...