Just to see if I could

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Just to see if I could

Post by earlgo »

Using the Poly-Choke EM fixture, this is the result of a resharp on a 1/8" end mill.

Not too bad for a first try on a small mill. And yes, I had to use a 10x Titan microscope to tell if it was split even close to right.
The Poly-Choke fixture was bought by and being produced by the BMC Tool company.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
JackF

Re: Just to see if I could

Post by JackF »

What does this Poly-Choke EM fixture look like, looks like it did a good job. :)

Jack.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Many of the used 2-flute endmills that came with my machines have one flute ground off and the remaining edge sharpened. I guess that is the poor-man's way to sharpen an end mill.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looks pretty good, but if you expect the sides (the periphery) to cut without a step, avoid cutting in to the margin when you're grinding the face, towards center. That may require that you rotate the end mill slightly, so you can hit center before touching the margin. Because it's ground with relief, any material you remove will leave a slight taper in the cut.
It's hard to tell from the photo, but the end should have a slight taper towards center (concave, not convex), so it touches only at the tips. Otherwise it may not cut properly when using the end. The flute will define the cut instead of the tip.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

BMC Tool Company has a website.
http://bmctool.com/

The Poly-Choke fixture was purchased at an estate sale for less than 5% of the new price. It looks exactly like the BMC Tool PC-101 and can be used to sharpen drills, taps, countersinks, and end mills. The BMC people added a couple extra graduations on the fixture, to make it easier to sharpen drills, that are not on the Poly Choke.

When I bought the Poly-Choke I had no idea what it was worth but it looked like a precision piece of equipment.

Thanks for your input Mr. V. It is a lot easier to see things on a bigger end mill, but I thought I'd try this one for fun. I had to use my USB microscope to even get a picture that could be seen.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.