Spindle not turning on my Kearny & Tracker horizontal mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

joelallan

Spindle not turning on my Kearny & Tracker horizontal mill

Post by joelallan »

I just purchased a used Kearny & Tracker No. 2 horizontal mill. I put power to it and turned it on. The main motor turns over fine and the oil pump pumps oil over the gears however when I go to turn the spindle on it just makes a clicking sound. I read the manual and it said such a noise will occur from the clutch if the machine is being over worked. None of the power feeds are engaged, all table locks are off, and the spindle turns freely when I turn it by hand. I am reluctant to adjust the clutch and was wondering if there may have been a shear pin the snapped? If so is it a pain to replace?
dly31

Re: Spindle not turning on my Kearny & Tracker horizontal mi

Post by dly31 »

It seems possible the spindle speed and/or direction gears are not fully engaged. Try selecting a different speed and/or direction. If someone has had it apart the gearbox controls may not be correctly timed.
Don Young
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

There is a small lever for forward, reverse and neutral on the side of the mill. See if its engaged. We had the shop manager call the dealer on a brand new mill because the spindle wouldn't turn on. The reason was the lever was in neutral. The lever has a threaded bolt in it to lock it into position. I have never had it tighter than finger tight.

BTW I knew why the spindle would turn on before he called the dealer. Just is some people don't listen to anyone.

Richard W.
joelallan

Post by joelallan »

Thanks for the input. It was just a simple location of the "reverse" lever on the side of the machine not being engaged all the way. Does anyone know the age based upon the serial number? It is stamped 23-5490. I am figuring 1950's.
timvercoe

Post by timvercoe »

The Practical Machinist forum has some very knowledge people about old machinery. Start a thread there with your serial # some one will chime in and tell you what year, etc. Also great resource for old manuals and brochures.

Tim