New to form and Milling in general need some help

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jawn

Re: New to form and Milling in general need some help

Post by Jawn »

stevec wrote:I noticed your cost price of $750 was considerably less than the sale price mentioned in the HF ad you posted the link to.
How did you manage that, especially importing it into Canada?
If he did what I did, he caught it on sale for $800 and used a 25% off coupon to bring it to $600 before tax/shipping. Mine worked out to $738.42 total.
Dooshare

Post by Dooshare »

Hi Steve,

Yes i paid S 749, i could not do the on line order so called them/ But it was first on special for $749 and then change to $1160 now. I had looked at this machine for a long time, over a year and when the special was there i took it. I shipped it to Derby in VT.

The shipping is cheaper to send it to a US address and collect it from the shipping agency in Derby. I am in Sherbrooke so we are only 45 km away, and pay the taxes on the invoice.

So at the end it cost me landed in my workshop

Unit price $ 749.00
Shipping $ 80.00
Customs and Taxes $ 130.00

Total $ 959.00

The agent in Derby Line charged me $ 15 for the handling.

And got the 2 HP so with building cost for the stand it is just over 1K.

If i had shipped it direct to sherbrooke the shipping cost would have been over 400 and then the broker fees. I am sure it would have been close to 1600 - 1800 landed cost.

Now come all the rest.
Dooshare

Post by Dooshare »

Jawn wrote:
stevec wrote:I noticed your cost price of $750 was considerably less than the sale price mentioned in the HF ad you posted the link to.
If he did what I did, he caught it on sale for $800 and used a 25% off coupon to bring it to $600 before tax/shipping. Mine worked out to $738.42 total.
Were did you get the 25% discount
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Dooshare wrote:
Jawn wrote:
Were did you get the 25% discount
I did a google image search for a Harbor Freight 25% off coupon and picked one that hadn't expired.
Dooshare

Post by Dooshare »

Just finished my stand, tomorrow will be the job to put my machine on it and bolt it down. I add the set up screws and will later add wheels to be able to drop it down on to move it around for what ever reason.

Bellow some photos.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Great looking stand. What size and thickness is that tubing?
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Very nice stand. I would wire the unit for 240v. The current draw is half of 120 (same total watts used) and allows for smaller more affordable wire. Only other comment is that leveling with 4 feet will make you nuts.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Falcon67 wrote:Very nice stand. I would wire the unit for 240v. The current draw is half of 120 (same total watts used) and allows for smaller more affordable wire. Only other comment is that leveling with 4 feet will make you nuts.
On the flipside, if you have 120v 20A circuits already in place, leaving it as-is saves you the trouble of adding a 240v circuit. I'll leave mine at 120v.
Dooshare

Post by Dooshare »

hey my deal just got better, I went online and looked for a 25% HF discount coupon and got one. I called the call center and they will credit me back the 25%.

For anyone that purchase the same Milling machine the coupon number is 83222653 and exp on 09-13-2014 you must claim it before 30 days after your invoice date or if you want to use it for any purchase go ahead it is for 1 product.

The link is http://www.dealsoff.com/images/harbor-f ... s-0913.png

Have fun it is always good to share

DooShare
Last edited by Dooshare on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Dooshare wrote:hey my deal just got better, I went online and looked for a 25% HF discount coupon and got one. I called the call center and they will credit me back the 25%.
Glad you got them to credit the 25% back!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Dooshare wrote: and exp on 13-98-2014
Hey, that's my birthday!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Dooshare

Post by Dooshare »

Glenn Wegman wrote:
Dooshare wrote: and exp on 13-98-2014
Hey, that's my birthday!
ha ha yes its 09-13-2014 ......