New HF mill on the way to me

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jawn

New HF mill on the way to me

Post by Jawn »

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half ... 33686.html

Caught that on sale for 800 about a week ago, stacked a 25% off coupon with it, so it came out to 600 plus tax and shipping. Since ordering it, I've started accumulating the required tooling to go with it... collets, hold-downs, vise, end mills, etc.

When they called to schedule the delivery, I asked if it'd come on a liftgate truck, the answer was "yes". It's been a long week waiting for it, but it finally came today... on a truck without a liftgate! :evil: I could reach through a hole in the crate and touch my new toy, but no way to get it off the truck. So back to the freight terminal it goes for alternate arrangements. :cry:
SteveHGraham

Re: New HF mill on the way to me

Post by SteveHGraham »

They let you touch it. You have to feel pretty good about that.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

well I give you joy on the new tool.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

SteveHGraham wrote:They let you touch it. You have to feel pretty good about that.
Yeah, there is that. :lol: If having it re-delivered on a liftgate truck is stupid expensive (driver was saying offhand something like $100 or so... kind of steep, I thought), I may just go to the terminal (about 30min away) and have 'em set it on a skid on my utility trailer, then use a come-along to carefully slide it down the ramp and into the garage.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Excellent buy. Thats how I got my 9x20 - sale plus 25% coupon, required a drive to Dallas to get it. Out the door under $500. Same plan as you on the new lathe - it should be delivered to the freight terminal then I'll pick it up there. My mill came from Griz delivered by Saia on a lift truck at no extra charge. That was unexpected.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Finally got it. They quoted almost $150 to deliver it. So yesterday I went to HF, bought an engine crane (needed it anyway), and assembled it. Today I borrowed my girlfriend's truck and drove to the freight terminal to retrieve my mill (fortunately only about 30-40 minutes away). They quickly forklifted it onto the truck and left me to my own devices. I ratchet-strapped it the best I could and hit the road. Aside from some construction traffic, an uneventful trip. Once I got home, the heavy lifting could begin.

http://www.truetex.com/movemill.htm
I'd come across this page the other day, which showed a guy had removed the belt cover and found a convenient place to lift from. I disassembled it and used a transport chain and grab hook through the hole in the top. Engine hoist held the weight and I was able to roll it into the garage and gently set it on the floor. I began assembling the items that were not installed (handwheels, crank for head height, drill downfeed handle, etc). Takes some fitting... the handwheels are a precise fit on the shafts, but they didn't mask off the holes when painting them. I need to build or buy a stand for it. Leaning heavily towards the enclosed Jet/WTTool stand, assuming it fits (if not exact fit, it'd probably be easily adapted).

http://www.zoro.com/g/00139371/k-G49203 ... 7AodWXAAcw

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/produc ... pping=true

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/produc ... pping=true

Pictures of the move attached.
Crate on the truck
Crate on the truck
Crate on the truck
Opened crate
Opened crate
Opened the crate
Ready to lift
Ready to lift
Ready to lift (fingers crossed)
On the ground (whew!)
On the ground (whew!)
On the ground (whew!), removed parts in background
Started assembly
Started assembly
Started assembly... now I need a stand before I proceed further.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

No! No! Just get in there with a crowbar or whatever! You have to make chips TODAY!

Sorry. That just came out of nowhere.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

SteveHGraham wrote:No! No! Just get in there with a crowbar or whatever! You have to make chips TODAY!

Sorry. That just came out of nowhere.
I have been tempted to go ahead and assemble it and run a heavy gauge dropcord to it to try it out. Then take the cover off again to lift it onto a stand later. Some metal I ordered from Amazon arrived today as well. (1018 for more tnuts, 6061 for who knows what)
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

FWIW - Here's my old thread on the mill and stand.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 43&t=83062
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Definitely go with the enclosed stand. The cheap WT one looks very flimsy to me. I wouldn't trust it. I made my own stand from plywood and lumber. Has been holding up my mill for 25 years now. Cost? scrap wood and a few nuts and bolts. Save the money and use it to buy some tooling for your new mill.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Mr Ron wrote:Definitely go with the enclosed stand. The cheap WT one looks very flimsy to me. I wouldn't trust it. I made my own stand from plywood and lumber. Has been holding up my mill for 25 years now. Cost? scrap wood and a few nuts and bolts. Save the money and use it to buy some tooling for your new mill.
I do like the WTTool enclosed one. I have considered building one, but not sure I want something that strength-critical as a first (major) welding project. I've done minor "tacks" here and there, but never really did any serious welding. I inherited a Campbell Hausfeld 80A mig though, so I've got the equipment as long as it doesn't have to be TOO heavy wall steel...

I mentioned my idea of a wooden stand to a co-worker, he poo-poo'd that idea as a fire hazard, citing hot chips and wood that may become oil-soaked. I'm not convinced it's a bad idea if it has a metal chip pan on top.

Speaking of chips... I went ahead and put it back together in place on the floor and made some chips just to try it out. :)
Chips!
Chips!
When I have some more time for setup work, I'll turn part of that steel bar into some more T-nuts.

I tried to mount the vise, but the shortest of the threaded studs in the clamping kit is still too long. I'll pick up some bolts of appropriate length today. Also, there's some "keys" that are supposed to fit the bottom of the vise to align it with the slots on the table... they're nowhere near fitting in place. Keyway on the vise too narrow, mounting holes off center, etc... any reason not to just leave these off?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Jawn wrote:I have been tempted to go ahead and assemble it and run a heavy gauge dropcord to it to try it out. Then take the cover off again to lift it onto a stand later. Some metal I ordered from Amazon arrived today as well. (1018 for more tnuts, 6061 for who knows what)
Never, EVER listen to me. I know you'll do it right.