Restored my old horizontal mill vise.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Restored my old horizontal mill vise.

Post by earlgo »

Jaxian, thanks for the explanation. I guess I didn't think about slop in the key/keyway allowing a bit of movement that might transmit torque. But having said that there are a bunch of flat spacer ends between the cutter and the nut that would each lose a bit of the torque/movement unless they were all keyed tightly together.
I don't have a stub arbor so I didn't realize that they didn't have a keyway, if I read your and spro's remarks correctly. I have been looking for one and that is why I noticed the big rack of arbors at the Small Tools facility. Alas, no stubs.
As an aside, my Producto mill has a double pulley on the motor spindle drive and there is only one belt on it. I sure wish I knew if there were a way to put in a matched belt pair without having to remove the spindle, but I am seriously doubting it.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

You guys are slightly misreading me. I said .."even with the keys and arbor being new.." I actually bought it new and the box says "R-8 Stub Mill Arbor" This arbor has a key and 4 bushings, a space of 2" to the nut. I have a theory as to why it could happen on a mill/ drill or a vertical type with a worn, spline- driven spindle. My mill/drill has some slop between the drive pulley and spindle splines. When using a milling wheel, the interrupted cut causes a "hammering" effect as drive torque is interrupted and reapplied at the splines. This additional impact travels down the stub arbor and loosens the nut (if run, wrong way) .
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

spro, sorry that I misread your comment. My bad.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.