Pinnacle Milling Machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

juiceclone

Re: Pinnacle Milling Machine

Post by juiceclone »

:idea: socket on the top nut with an air impact wrench..amazing what inertia can do :!:
bren4finn

Post by bren4finn »

Eventually managed to loosen and remove the holder today.Can anyone confirm from the photos if it is indeed an R8 collet holder or some other type.

Thanks. Brendan
Attachments
20141012_143330 edited.jpg
20141012_143419 edited.jpg
20141012_143507 edited.jpg
20141012_143526 edited.jpg
20141012_143623 edited.jpg
You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Your pictures show everything EXCEPT what is needed ! :) That indeed is some form of collet system . But in your first picture we can not see the shank of the body to tell what it is,post a picture of the body showing the shank ie at 90* to it. From the little i can see looks like a R-8 but can't tell for sure.
www.chaski.com
bren4finn

Post by bren4finn »

This is another picture
Attachments
20141012_191643 edited.jpg
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Just by look, that appears to be an R8, but I've never seen one where the keyway extends onto the taper.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yes it does look to be a R-8 ,but I'm with Russ on the keyway being that long. Being the OP is on thefar side of the pond who knows where that collet was made. If I was the OP I would just order up a R-8 to try,or maybe a local shop etc. might have one to compair it with. But the actual collet system in that holder is strange indeed to me.
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You may find this page useful as it has a drawing of the R8 dimensions.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel ... rkson3.htm

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
stevec

Post by stevec »

bren4finn wrote:Eventually managed to loosen and remove the holder today.Can anyone confirm from the photos if it is indeed an R8 collet holder or some other type.
Thanks. Brendan
Glad you succeeded to remove the holder, it does look like R-8.
It would be nice if you could tell us HOW you succeeded in the removal, was it by following any specific suggestions that were provided?
bren4finn

Post by bren4finn »

I tightened the vice to the table and raised the knee up until the holder was positioned between the vice jaws then placed a strip of neoprene rubber around the collet holder and carefully tightened the vice (moving the table accordingly) until the spindle stopped turning while I loosened the drawbar. It actually didnt reguire much pressure as the rubber strip proved a good friction material. Unorthodox im sure but proved to be effective. .
David WC

Post by David WC »

I was looking for information on a Pinnacle PK-1 1/4 Knee mill built in 1981 and found this old post. Here's a link to the Pinnacle site that may be of interest. The mills are offered with several spindle configurations. My mill is not listed.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

David WC wrote:I was looking for information on a Pinnacle PK-1 1/4 Knee mill built in 1981 and found this old post. Here's a link to the Pinnacle site that may be of interest. The mills are offered with several spindle configurations. My mill is not listed.
David WC wrote:I was looking for information on a Pinnacle PK-1 1/4 Knee mill built in 1981 and found this old post. Here's a link to the Pinnacle site that may be of interest.
Good Morning :!: David WC :D

Okay..My Eye's are old :roll: :lol: :lol: Where is the link :?: :?: :?

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
David WC

Post by David WC »

Ken572, :oops: The mind is a terrible thing to lose. I really thought I had included the link in my post. http://www.pinnacle-mc.com/en/pinnacle.pdf The Manual mills are at the bottom of page 14.