3D taster

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wsippola

3D taster

Post by wsippola »

A couple hours after reading a thread on 3D tasters, I ran into one cheap at a used tool store. It was an offshore copy, didn't work of course, but I was willing to risk the $30.

The indicator needle was stuck hard over, so I took it apart and cleaned the movement. Turns out the problem was actually just the adjustment screws for centering the indicator were too far over, causing the movement to bind.

I figured I would post some photo's in case anyone else takes one apart. The spring loaded rod in the center pushes down on a pin at the back of the very simple movement. That rotates the cam which drives the sector gear which drives the pinion. The other sector gear (identical to the first) just allows a second spring, and probably helps a bit giving force on both sides of the needle's pinion.

I didn't take a photo, but the taster's probe pivots on a hemispherical section. The upper side of the probe is just a wide cylindrical section. When the probe moves to the side, the cylindrical top end pushes a piston up against the spring tension of the rod shown. This allows the pin to rise, which swings the needle. The action is not linear, as can be seen by the graduations on the dial. I think it's best use will be as an edge finder or for finding the center of the hole. Here's the photo's.
Attachments
002.JPG
004.JPG
stevec

Re: 3D taster

Post by stevec »

Wayne, I gotta admit that I had to google 3-d taster to find out what the "H#ll" you were talking about.
Now I'm really curious. I sounds like the "bees knees".
I'll be following this thread with interest.
wsippola

Re: 3D taster

Post by wsippola »

I had only read about what a 3D taster is the morning I found this one. It's an indicator that mounts in the spindle with a probe at the bottom tipped with a 4mm sphere. The indicator needle on mine starts at the bottom. When the probe is deflected 2mm, the needle is at Zero on the top of the scale. It indicates in .0001" increments over a couple thou range when the spindle centerline is on the edge, then out to about 80 thou either side of center. The probe can be pushed straight up as well, and that reads on a different scale. I believe that function is really only used if you have your tools set to specific lengths.

I've read they are pretty handy if you have a DRO, to quickly find the center of hole, or an edge, or intersection of edges. They also need to be dialed in each time it's removed from it's tool holder - which means it's easier just to have it in it's own tool holder. If you can't change tools conveniently, it's usefulness drops off. I built a power drawbar for my mill, so changing tools is quick. Still haven't used it in anger, just enough to figure out what it does.

Happy to have it for $30, but I've read the list price is closer to 300. Don't think it's quite that useful, at least not for what I do.

Wayne